Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Hunter: Khan's Chin Not a Problem, Has To Temper Attacks

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Hunter: Khan's Chin Not a Problem, Has To Temper Attacks

Last Tuesday in Los Angeles, Amir Khan stood in a large hallway inside the Sports Arena, where on Dec. 15 the former super lightweight champion from England will try to get his career back on track when he takes on Carlos Molina of Norwalk in the main event (on Showtime).

Khan recently switched trainers, firing hall-of-famer Freddie Roach and soon after hiring Virgil Hunter, who is best known for his work with super middleweight champion Andre Ward.

Khan is 26-3 with 18 knockouts and has been stopped inside the distance twice. In 2008, he was knocked out by Breidis Prescott in the first round. Not long after, Khan hired Roach, who guided Khan to eight consecutive victories and two championship belts before a split-decision loss to Lamont Peterson ahead of the TKO loss to Garcia.
    [Click Here To Read More]

A lot of people here has written about Khan's chin. I agree with Hunter - the chin is not the problem here. The two guys who knocked Khan out are known for having "one punch KO-power". Khan stood in there with Maidana who landed big blows but couldn't get Khan out of there.

I also agree that the real problem is Khan's defense and his reactions and actions after being hurt. He seems very tense when fighting - just like amateurs going at it for 3-4 rounds. He needs to pace himself better and quit jumping around on his toes like that. He needs to settle.

I think Hunter was a wise choice but it shouldn't be on his shoulders alone. Khan really needs to improve and adjust to those factors Hunter said above in the article. Roach can't teach Khan anything new and I think Roach should retire after Pacquiao's (hopefully) last fight with Marquez.

Comment

Originally posted by Main Source View Post
      A lot of people here has written about Khan's chin. I agree with Hunter - the chin is not the problem here. The two guys who knocked Khan out are known for having "one punch KO-power". Khan stood in there with Maidana who landed big blows but couldn't get Khan out of there.

I also agree that the real problem is Khan's defense and his reactions and actions after being hurt. He seems very tense when fighting - just like amateurs going at it for 3-4 rounds. He needs to pace himself better and quit jumping around on his toes like that. He needs to settle.

I think Hunter was a wise choice but it shouldn't be on his shoulders alone. Khan really needs to improve and adjust to those factors Hunter said above in the article. Roach can't teach Khan anything new and I think Roach should retire after Pacquiao's (hopefully) last fight with Marquez.
      I agree, I've always believed his chin wasn't a problem. It's not great but its by no means bad either. His defence is almost non existant as he relies only on speed/lateral movement which isn't good enough at top level. From what I've heard so far, I'm really impressed by Hunter's analysis and hopefully Khan takes what he says on board.

Comment

Khan does not have a good chin. Any fighter with any real power that has caught him has shaken him badly. Because he is young and very fit he is generally able to recover quickly but the older he gets and the more punishment he takes the longer it will take him to recover.
        His real problem is that he doesn't listen. It doesn't matter who is in his corner, the fact is that when he gets hit all instruction goes out of the window.
        A better defensive trainer will teach him better defensive basics but when he is hurt he reverts to type.

Comment

Khan's chin will let Hunter down at some point. Khan will have a nice little run until his chin caves in again

Comment

Khans Chin is still a problem no matter what Hunter says...But I agree with him about Khan tempering his attacks...

Comment

Originally posted by Dsanchez View Post
              I agree with both of you guys. I have stated before and i still think that his problem is not so much his chin but his "recovery" he gets hit and 2 rounds later he still shaky
              But is that not still a question of his chin??If he got hit and hurt by a punch on the chin..Then 2 rds later he is still on unstable legs,is that not an indictment of his chin which started all the trouble to begin with??

Comment

IMO opinion his body has no real shock absorbers. For someone who's 5ft 10 his neck and back is small and fragile. He needs to bulk on his neck, shoulder and leg muscles.

Comment

Rule number one to being a World Champion in Boxing : No Chin? No Title! It can't be any clearer than that and Kahn has been VERY lucky that he was never caught with a solid blow to his glass in his earlier title bouts.
                  Kahn HAS a weak chin and both he and Hunter know it. Hunter is simply doing his job building his fighters confidence by telling him his chin is ok along with honing his defensive skills (Old school methodology - tell your fighter he's invincible and unbeatable hence "your chin is not the problem" now go out there and win!).
                  For one to say Kahn's chin isn't his problem simply was not watching his last 2 fights (must have been watching Dancing with the Stars). People need to stop being so analytical and stop over thinking this fighters flaws....... it's so obvious. The truth will rear its head AGAIN when Kahn steps into the ring with a real fighter and not a fluff comeback bout.
                  Last edited by LAPete; 11-03-2012, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X