Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: “Fighting Words” – Boxing After Dark Goes Gift Shopping

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: “Fighting Words” – Boxing After Dark Goes Gift Shopping

by David P. Greisman - The line ain’t that fine between showdown and showcase.

It’s fairly obvious when one fighter is there to win and the other to lose. It’s just as clear when that perception will become reality, when the heroes of the moment will be crowned victorious — and when those momentarily standing in opposition will not remain for long in a standing position.

There were no surprises on Saturday’s HBO broadcast of “Boxing After Dark.” In the main event, Saul Alvarez dispatched Kermit Cintron. On the undercard, Adrien Broner disposed of Martin Rodriguez. And in a fight that was only intended to be shown in highlights but was so brief that it was aired in its entirety, Gary Russell Jr. left Heriberto Ruiz displaced from consciousness.

On Thanksgiving weekend, the trio of Alvarez, Broner and Russell had their opponents served up to them on a proverbial platter.

Mismatches will happen. Fighters need foes to face on their way up through the ranks, when they’re looking to keep busy or when there’s just little better available. But mismatches don’t need to happen on HBO, which can get better value for its time and money, both of which are limited resources.

It was the weekend that marks the beginning of the holiday shopping season. This one broadcast, no matter what it cost, was an overpriced purchase, a gift that didn’t need to be given to Alvarez, Broner, Russell and Golden Boy Promotions, but one that they all gladly accepted nevertheless. [Click Here To Read More]

I understand what the writer is trying to get across here but this article sucks. I'll take boxing whenever and wherever I can get it, and at this point in his career, who had beef with Canelo vs Cintron? Who has beef with seeing knockouts, one of which was spectacular? Yea we don't need to see Broener vs jobber on HBO, but am I really supposed to be disappointed that Alvarez vs Cintron made, let alone shown on TV? Come on man...

Comment

Thanks for the comment. Here's why I disagree:

When you pay large sums for mismatches, it becomes increasingly difficult — and impossibly expensive — to make the fights that the network really wants to make. Those fights are the ones that bring in ratings, not necessarily the mismatches.

We saw this with Andre Berto. HBO paid him a million bucks or more so many times for so many lesser fights that it was hard for them to get him in with many other welterweights for the longest time, because he wanted even more money for those bouts than he was already getting.

And all of that bleeds the budget dry, which means more big fights can't get made, and some of those that do unnecessarily get pushed to pay-per-view as a way to recoup on some of the money spent. Bernard Hopkins vs. Chad Dawson was originally going to be on World Championship Boxing, not on pay-per-view.

Anyway. Thanks again for the comment. I see you're in Maryland. You going to Khan-Peterson in D.C.?

Comment

hbo has no shame tv'ing crap as these 2 bouts...gave up them over 32 yrs ago 4 Showtime + the Spanish network , get @ least 6 live bouts per wk...+can't take Lampley (when I had it volume was off), or the obnoxious Kellerman, merchant or that drunk Lederman...

Comment

Respect has 2 be earned bro, good job steepin him up? If ur the CHAMP then u should have won ur respect when u won ur title. Should canelo be a champ? maby, but beating k9? Molina woulod have been a good fight instead of hatton, already to late for that fight now. Not on u, just sick of this bs with the politics of our sport. i guess if he has the belt, then only a champ or #1 contender should be ur options... unless u movin up in weight for a superfight(movin up, not a catchweight) what u think?

Comment

hmm..... and???

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. David View Post

We saw this with Andre Berto. HBO paid him a million bucks or more so many times for so many lesser fights that it was hard for them to get him in with many other welterweights for the longest time, because he wanted even more money for those bouts than he was already getting.
              Yup... that's a good point. I think good fights are hard to be made because both sides are expecting a lot of money and that's always a qualm in super and mega fights.

Comment

I think this article sucks

Comment

Canelo Why you didn't" ask for Pacquiao???o KIRLAND you avoiding somebody ??

Comment

Interesting article. Yes they were 3 horrible missmatches and none of the 2 undercard bouts were diserving of an HBO broadcast, but how else are these upcoming prospects are gonna get noticed and recognized if no international network is willing to let us watch them.now about Canelo, Gbp has done a great job to hype the kid up and make him the money.cow he has become. Any casual fan mght look at his record and get impressed, Cotto, Rhodes, Cintron....( by the way, when you go to.hbo on demand and watch his highlights and hit info they had the nerve to wrote down " including his fight against miguel cotto" instead of jose cotto) Any casual fan sees this and inmidiatly thinks Canelo is a beast because casual fans dont know and dont care that all of these guys are all washed up, shot and beyond. If you compare him to Chavez jr whos best matches had been a c+ Zbick and washed up former B class Manfredo, other than that, 42 complete unknown bums. I just hope Cintron was Canelos last tune up/ hype match and fight anyone thats still someone at 154, or he will keep being just another hype job, after all he made the absurd claim that he wants maywether smh.

Comment

Working...
                    X