Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's next for the Puerto Rican fanbase?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's next for the Puerto Rican fanbase?

It's been a tough year for this fanbase. First, they witnessed Juanma's downfall in their own country, twice. Then came Dulorme due to some horrible matchmaking and the pressure of being on HBO. The same could be said for Del Valle. Last night Cotto fell short for a second time in the span of 7 months. And lastly, they lost Macho Camacho (RIP). So who's out there that can revive Puerto Rican boxing? In the US at least. Can these guys who lost bounce back?

This thread is not intended for bashing these guys as they are having a rough year as it is. So those Margarito lovers, stay out if you don't have anything constructive to say.

Well there's always Garcia, who just tweeted this a few minutes ago.

Danny Swift Garcia ‏@DannySwift

I got a huge amount of love from the Puerto Rican fans at the MSG lastnight! I'm very happy my culture supports me! #PRPower

Comment

reported

this guy is fixated on race

Comment

Originally posted by I'm so sorry View Post
        Well there's always Garcia, who just tweeted this a few minutes ago.

Danny Swift Garcia ‏@DannySwift

I got a huge amount of love from the Puerto Rican fans at the MSG lastnight! I'm very happy my culture supports me! #PRPower
        Yawn. I forgot about this guy. It seems like more Puerto Ricans are starting to embrace him but before the first Morales fight I don't ever remember him sporting the PR flag on his trunks. I could be wrong tho... I myself wouldn't put too much faith in him either.

Comment

Originally posted by jsfd26 View Post
          Yawn. I forgot about this guy. It seems like more Puerto Ricans are starting to embrace him but before the first Morales fight I don't ever remember him sporting the PR flag on his trunks. I could be wrong tho... I myself wouldn't put too much faith in him either.
          Yeah I find it kinda odd that he's just now trying to get the PR's to ride with him. Smart move though considering Cotto fell off and he can consume some of his fans.

Comment

Originally posted by I'm so sorry View Post
            Yeah I find it kinda odd that he's just now trying to get the PR's to ride with him. Smart move though considering Cotto fell off and he can consume some of his fans.
            But pretty phony too IMO.

Comment

That guy ain't no rican,I'm not even sure I've heard him speak spanish.

Comment

Originally posted by jsfd26 View Post
                But pretty phony too IMO.
                Indeed.....

Comment

I think the Puerto Rican fanbase or any Fanbase who only follow boxing for nationalistic reason can gain in new perspective on appreciating and being a fan of a fighter's skill then where he comes from which would enrich their enjoyment of the sport even more.

"El Finito" Lopez, "Chiquita" Gonzales, Chicanito, and Chavez were some of the fighters that gravitated me to boxing because of my Mexican background. Since then I have evolved into loving the sport more for what it is then just nationalistic reasons. Am not saying the being nationalistic is necessaryly bad, but it can limit you on truely enjoy the complete talent in boxing. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Originally posted by ergheiz View Post
                    That guy ain't no rican,I'm not even sure I've heard him speak spanish.
                    I don't think he can, way back before the holt fight, he would always be featured on those solo boxeo cards and telefutura would do these short videos to show his background and he never spoke a word of Spanish. Being on telefutura you would think he would speak Spanish to connect with the viewers and try to build a fan base

Comment

Working...
                    X