No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: James Toney and The Prizefighter Tournament

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: James Toney and The Prizefighter Tournament

‘[O]nce the fighting time comes, the boxer will get wounded and will cause wounds.’

— (Philostratus, Gymnastics, 11)

James Toney’s inclusion in tonight’s Prizefighter: The Heavyweights led to a bout of British boxing’s bimonthly soul searching and moralising over the dark, exploitative side of the sport. A murky, portentous underbelly that is constantly out there, but is made explicit every once in a while, usually accompanied by ample purple prose — for example when a fat, past-his-best and seemingly punchy former middleweight is entered into a three-threes tournament format against a group of opponents who are a level or two below some of his recent foes. [Click Here To Read More]

Very good read. I for one don't like fighters fighting past their peak e.g. Roy Jones Jr., Erik Morales etc. But for some reason and I don't know why, I have no problem with Toney being in this prizefighter tournament. Maybe if the other guys in the competition were hard hitting monsters I would think this is wrong but I think Toney is going to stroll through this tournament.

Comment

Well this is an awesome article but to be honest its verry long and i could only read the first half because its verry boring....but still great article.

Comment

Originally posted by Adamjr91 View Post
        Very good read. I for one don't like fighters fighting past their peak e.g. Roy Jones Jr., Erik Morales etc. But for some reason and I don't know why, I have no problem with Toney being in this prizefighter tournament. Maybe if the other guys in the competition were hard hitting monsters I would think this is wrong but I think Toney is going to stroll through this tournament.
        Absolutely!! If they would throw Toney in against a hard hitting monster like Wilder, Wladimir or some other hard hitting kid, i would call for protest! But these "stiffs" should not be a big problem for toney, and each fights goes only 3 rounds. So if he wins he has to go 12 rounds, but with big brakes in between. i just hope he wins an retires but it will not happen. Toney needs money i guess.
        Is toney broke?? Does anyone know if hes broke?? Or does he really like boxing still?

Comment

Toney's quality of life isnt going to get any worse by taking this fight. He's already ****ED. At least make a little money while he can still remember his name.

Comment

oh how the mighty have fallen....

Comment

Toneys got this in the bag easy work

Comment

Toney is a fighter who fights and he'll keep fighting til they take his licence off him

Comment

Toney lost 25 14

Comment

He was really poor tonight.

Comment

Working...
                    X