No announcement yet.

Kovalev.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kovalev.

I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts on Sergey Kovalev, what he's good at, and what he should work on.

I think Kovalev is a very good fighter. He cuts off the ring well, he has power in both hands, and he's a great finisher.

I also believe his foot speed is underrated. I mean, otherwise he wouldn't be such a great finisher. Just look at how he charges at Sillakh at 1:18-1:20:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFJ5K9oq_zE

Sergey is a ****ing beast. No doubt in my mind that he would RUN OVER B-Hop and Stevenson. I also think he beats Andre Ward.

He has absolute dynamite in his hands...He has freakish power...But its not just his punching power,he can actually box quite well. Slips punches well.

Comment

Originally posted by VG_Addict View Post
      I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts on Sergey Kovalev, what he's good at, and what he should work on.

I think Kovalev is a very good fighter. He cuts off the ring well, he has power in both hands, and he's a great finisher.

I also believe his foot speed is underrated. I mean, otherwise he wouldn't be such a great finisher. Just look at how he charges at Sillakh at 1:18-1:20:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFJ5K9oq_zE
      Who is this guy?

Comment

Those NBC cards first exposed me to Kovalev.. and after just one fight I was really impressed with his overall athleticism, and the way he threw such short punches...the combination of the footwork and short punches made him very dynamic in my eyes...too much for someone more static like southpaw Campillo, so I figured he'd beat that test and then make it to contender status and rise up further.

All has been going well .....but I think that some of the looks that Agnew gave Kovalev showed a couple of openings in his defense..IDK if he got complacent against someone who he felt couldn't hurt him...but some of the right hooks Agnew threw were getting mighty close.

If you look back to the tape of Sergei getting dropped in the AM, he has the guy cornered against the ropes...but comes in and is stood up by a very quick right hook (from a southpaw) before taking a massive left hand that drops him hard.

I had to re-evaluate, because I honestly felt a little more on edge in the Agnew fight because he made that opening appear a number of times. He ended up patiently dismantling the guy, so offensively he was impressive once again...but I'd like to see if he can seal up some things defensively in his next fight.wonder if it will be a southpaw
        Last edited by LA_2_Vegas; 05-20-2014, 06:45 PM.

Comment

Obviously he has tons of offense but we haven't seen him against a really aggressive pitbull "win or die" opponent yet. He has mowed through B-level (good but not great) guys by hurting them then walking them down.

Then again with the "cold war", Stevenson apparently scared and Hopkins getting too old even in Hopkins years, we may never see anything but Kovalev kicking around decent competition.

Comment

Working...
          X