No announcement yet.

Diet advice

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diet advice

I’ve just started Boxing and I wondered if any of you have any advice for me on whats best to be eating, I’m currently at 133lb and I’m 5”6. The gym I’ve joined is only open Mondays and Thursdays at the minute until the season starts (September) and it will be open Tuesdays aswel. I’ve just started running once a week also until I become fitter and then I’ll build up the distance I run and put in more days. I don’t want to bulk up or anything so I’m not sure on the amount of carbs I should be eating or anything else for that matter. Cheers

Fresh fruit and veg, lean meats, fish, milk and other dairy, nuts, brown rice/pasta etc.

Avoid fast food and sweets etc as best you can, no one's a saint though so don't feel bad if you do it now and again.

You might want to invest in a protein supplement too.

Comment

Originally posted by Squirrel View Post
      Fresh fruit and veg, lean meats, fish, milk and other dairy, nuts, brown rice/pasta etc.

Avoid fast food and sweets etc as best you can, no one's a saint though so don't feel bad if you do it now and again.

You might want to invest in a protein supplement too.
      Cheers for that, to be honest the coach hasn't even weighed me yet and I dont think he will until nearer sept, But been at the weight I am they'll prob want me to stay the same wont they and fight at lightweight? Not sure anyway prob best I speak to him on that one aye.

And on the protein shake is that going to bulk me up loads do u think or do they just help repair the muslce. Haven't really looked into them yet

Comment

Originally posted by toni0704 View Post
        Cheers for that, to be honest the coach hasn't even weighed me yet and I dont think he will until nearer sept, But been at the weight I am they'll prob want me to stay the same wont they and fight at lightweight? Not sure anyway prob best I speak to him on that one aye.

And on the protein shake is that going to bulk me up loads do u think or do they just help repair the muslce. Haven't really looked into them yet
        it really just depends on how you use it. from an athlete standpoint its best to just use it pre and post workouts. the reason why some may recommend you to use it before bed and right when you wake up is to keep your muscles fed while sleeping (no matter what even if you drink casein, you will still wake up in a some what catabolic state) and when you wake up to switch your body out of a catabolic state and then about 30-60 minutes later have breakfast. it is not really necessary for something like boxing. the best use you can make of a protein mix is to use it for pre and post workouts to help supply your muscles with more energy and to help with recovery. if and you decide to take it post workout make sure you get it within 30 minutes of finishing your workout to make the most out of the protein drink.

like the the first guy said: chicken, lean meat, whole grain foods, brown rice, whole grain bread, fish, veggies, fruits, lots of water, yogurt, cottage cheese, peanut butter, almonds, wall-nuts, eggs (1whole to every 2-3 egg whites), mushrooms are great as well

try to up your running to at the very least 3-4 times a week. it will take your body longer to adjust to running with only 1x per week.

good luck

Comment

Originally posted by g0tcha View Post
          it really just depends on how you use it. from an athlete standpoint its best to just use it pre and post workouts. the reason why some may recommend you to use it before bed and right when you wake up is to keep your muscles fed while sleeping (no matter what even if you drink casein, you will still wake up in a some what catabolic state) and when you wake up to switch your body out of a catabolic state and then about 30-60 minutes later have breakfast. it is not really necessary for something like boxing. the best use you can make of a protein mix is to use it for pre and post workouts to help supply your muscles with more energy and to help with recovery. if and you decide to take it post workout make sure you get it within 30 minutes of finishing your workout to make the most out of the protein drink.

like the the first guy said: chicken, lean meat, whole grain foods, brown rice, whole grain bread, fish, veggies, fruits, lots of water, yogurt, cottage cheese, peanut butter, almonds, wall-nuts, eggs (1whole to every 2-3 egg whites), mushrooms are great as well

try to up your running to at the very least 3-4 times a week. it will take your body longer to adjust to running with only 1x per week.

good luck

Thank you for your advice, and your right I need to get more running in, its just fitting it in to my day but then I've got to make more of the effort if I want to really improve.

Diet wise it seems simple enough and i've just found a few recipes so that will help me get what I need.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by toni0704 View Post
            Thank you for your advice, and your right I need to get more running in, its just fitting it in to my day but then I've got to make more of the effort if I want to really improve.

Diet wise it seems simple enough and i've just found a few recipes so that will help me get what I need.

Cheers
            sounds like you've planned well and have done your research. good for you man. hope you reach and surpass your goals.

Comment

Working...
            X