No announcement yet.

Jaime Garza

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jaime Garza

Did anyone see any of his fights? Many of you have surely seen his ko loss to Juan Kid Meza, that was some fight, huh? Short but exciting. This guy was a huge puncher, scored 44 kos in 48 wins and held the WBC SBW title for a while.

big puncher but one dinsional.I believe his fight with Marcos Villasana is also on the tube

Comment

Garza was the Edwin Valero of his time (except for the murder/suicide part). He could really hit and the sky was the limit. That all changed when he got caught in the 1st round against an ordinary contender and was KO'd. Garza never recovered from that and quickly faded to obscurity.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
        Garza was the Edwin Valero of his time (except for the murder/suicide part). He could really hit and the sky was the limit. That all changed when he got caught in the 1st round against an ordinary contender and was KO'd. Garza never recovered from that and quickly faded to obscurity.
        The comparison to Valero is right on.

I have a bunch of Garza's fights and also remember watching him in the day. People see someone like him scoring knockouts and say "wow he's that good". But rarely do they consider the level of opposition.
        Last edited by TBear; 09-27-2011, 03:30 AM.

Comment

A complete "kill or be killed" fighter. Even when he won the tiitle (against an ordinary Bobby Berna), he had to get off the deck to do so....and he'd lose his title in that same fashion.

Comment

Garza

I remember as a kid I loved Ring Magazine & following Garza, they had him as their up and coming young star, in one issue.

He had no defense & I read an article once from his trainer, that he never had to learn defense & never wanted to, because from day 1 as a boxer, he had that power & knocked everyone out & was so ****y & confident, that he could beat anyone, he didnt care to learn a solid defense, but his chin was suspect.

If he had been able to get past that fight, he still most likely would have been knocked out by the champs.

Comment

I read or heard that, at a photo shoot the day before the fight, Meza said to Garza something close to "I'm going to have to knock you out fast tomorrow. Need to save my strength for the wild sex I'll be having with you mother." Something like that.
              Anyway, Garza had to be kept back from Meza and got so angry that he threw up. He was enraged for a day and a half leading up to the fight and entered the ring pissed off. Don't know how much difference that made as he always fought kind of wild anyway.

Comment

I watched him. They were building him to be the next Zarate. I remember watching the Meza fight too. It was a good round.

He was through after the fight basicly.

Funny but if he won the title in the same fashion today against guy like Berna and Orozco, People would be calling an atg in spite of his opposition because the way he ko'd them.
                Last edited by TBear; 07-24-2013, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Saw him fighting fellow sensation Carmelo Negron on CBS, and was feeling that it was a close one, at least Negron might have had a slight edge when the fight was stopped on a cut.Always wanted to see Jaime fight Wilfredo Gomez, may have been a great one while it lasted, but after Garza lost to Mesa, should've figured he would burn out quickly.He was a great puncher, but that's all.

Comment

I agree about wanting to see him fight Gomez, Wilfredo was one of my Favorite Fighters, he would have outboxed and Knocked out Garza I think fairly easily, he would have exploited all his flaws.

Comment

Working...
                    X