No announcement yet.

Arums take on why the Cotto-Berto fight never materialized

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arums take on why the Cotto-Berto fight never materialized

Remember Berto telling everybody Cotto/Arum turned the fight down? Well here Steve Kim of Maxboxing tell us why.

"Absolutely, it’s totally arbitrary," said veteran promoter Bob Arum, a couple of weeks ago. "It’s based completely on how the representatives for the fighter can bullshit the network. Because, I mean, you get a kid like Andre Berto and Lou DiBella called me up and he said, ’How much do you think HBO would pay for a [Miguel] Cotto-Berto fight?’ I said, ’How much do you think?’ He said, ’About three million.’ I said, ’What does your guy want to do the fight?’ He said, ’About $1.8 million.’

"I said, ’Are you fuckin’ nuts?! Your guy can’t sell a ticket,’ Arum recalled. “It’s a totally artificial market. This reminds me of the tulips. Do you remember the tulips? Where they were selling tulips for unbelievable money; there was a market being made in tulips and suddenly, one day people said, ’What, are we crazy? They’re tulip bulbs!’ and the market collapsed overnight."
    http://www.maxboxing.com/news/main-l...e-than-a-berto

There you have it, no surprise.

Think about it 3mil. Minus 1.8 for Berto. And that leaves 1.2 for Cotto. Cotto has sold out Madison Square fuckin' Garden fighting Zab Judah and packed the place in a couple of other ocasions. berto could get about 2,000 at most. He is not as exciting as Cotto or in the elite level Cotto is at. If they were to get 3mil I say give Cottos' side 2mil and Bero 1mil. That sounds more then fair to me.

Comment

Im not 100 percent sure but i think i read somewhere that Cotto is guaranteed at least 3 million for every fight regardless of the opponent.
      Last edited by ny123; 09-04-2010, 10:52 AM.

Comment

Damn thats a pretty good guarantee. Anyways just up up the offer to say 4mil so Cotto can get his 3mil (that he deserves) and give 1mil to Berto (which he would be lucky to be getting). Btw can someone help me out, they say Berto got about 1.2mil for the Quintana fight but wasn't that a supposed to a relief fund event? Why is Bertos greedy ass getting that much and there wasn't even a good crowd for that fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Viciousz View Post
          Damn thats a pretty good guarantee. Anyways just up up the offer to say 4mil so Cotto can get his 3mil (that he deserves) and give 1mil to Berto (which he would be lucky to be getting). Btw can someone help me out, they say Berto got about 1.2mil for the Quintana fight but wasn't that a supposed to a relief fund event? Why is Bertos greedy ass getting that much and there wasn't even a good crowd for that fight.
          HBO must be putting up big money for Bertos fights. I honestly dont know why they would put so much up for Berto but obviously they are.

Comment

Originally posted by ny123 View Post
            Im not 100 percent sure but i think i read somewhere that Cotto is guaranteed at least 3 million for every fight regardless of the opponent.
            And he deserves it. He brings fans, excitement and an all round class to a show

Comment

Originally posted by The Surgeon View Post
              And he deserves it. He brings fans, excitement and an all round class to a show
              And Berto brings none of that to a fight.

Comment

HBO must be putting up big money for Bertos fights. I honestly dont know why they would put so much up for Berto but obviously they are.
                He's a good fighter, and with a few good opponets he could become a real fan fav, his flashy style and good guy persona cant hurt

Comment

He turned down Mosley and Cotto because he wants a bigger share of the purse then those two, which he doesn't deserve. But a guy like Mike Jones is willing to fight him for whatever and he instead wants to fight junior welters. you know what I thought was embarrasing? Berto who supposedly has the best uppercut in the businees couldn't take down Urango (a jr. welter) with it but Alexander (a jr. welter) could.

Comment

Originally posted by Viciousz View Post
                    Think about it 3mil. Minus 1.8 for Berto. And that leaves 1.2 for Cotto. Cotto has sold out Madison Square fuckin' Garden fighting Zab Judah and packed the place in a couple of other ocasions. berto could get about 2,000 at most. He is not as exciting as Cotto or in the elite level Cotto is at. If they were to get 3mil I say give Cottos' side 2mil and Bero 1mil. That sounds more then fair to me.
                    at berto wanting 1.8 million out of 3 million

Comment

Working...
                    X