Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would a return to same day weigh ins make boxing much better?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would a return to same day weigh ins make boxing much better?

I think a return to same day weigh ins will help divide the best from the worst boxers. It be a very good indicator to say the least. Too many fighters are getting advantages in weight, without them they'd be nothing.

Would Castillo have been able to hang with Mayweather Jr for twelve rounds if weigh ins were on the same day? Look what happened when Jose moved up to 147.

Would Cotto, Clottey and Margarito been able to see twelve rounds with Pac? Or would they have quit like Oscar De La Hoya.

I think a return to same day weigh ins would bring about a more elite sect of boxers.

What do you think?

Also not too sure why this was stopped so if someone could enlighten me that'd be greatly appreciated.

would be intersting cause guys like gamboa,donaire would be lightweights and might get more attention.

Comment

You have to remember they changed the rules to protect fighters, as dehydrated fighters are in much, much more danger of suffering brain damage. When there was the same day weigh in, people were still dehydrating themselves to make weight. Thus the rule change.

Maybe there could be more of an enforcement on how much one can rehydrate over the 24 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS206 View Post
        You have to remember they changed the rules to protect fighters, as dehydrated fighters are in much, much more danger of suffering brain damage. When there was the same day weigh in, people were still dehydrating themselves to make weight. Thus the rule change.

Maybe there could be more of an enforcement on how much one can rehydrate over the 24 hours.
        Thanks for the info. I hear what you're saying about brain damage. A rehydration enforcement would be a good idea.

I just hate the thought of fighters taking advantage of the day after weigh ins and picking up a huge size gap over their opponents. It's not fair. You're pretty much diminishing your oppenents ability to hurt you meanwhile increasing your ability to hurt them.

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS206 View Post

Incorrect, the reason for the rule change was to reduce cancellations - with the current rule if a fighter doesn't make weight he can simply return an hour or so later. The rule change has nothing to do with protecting fighters, same with banning 15 rounders. The current rules are very dangerous for a boxer e.g. Gerald McClellan or Ricky Hatton. With same day weighs fighters would be more likely forced to just move up to a natural weight if they can't make weight.

Comment

I think we could start with higher penalties the higher you come in fight night. It should be % linked to how much the sanctioning bodies take in fee's.

I think the IBF weigh guys in the weeks and months leading up to a fight more which I like.

But it's a tricky one, guys need to be hydrated. Perhaps doctors should have more rights to pull a fighter if they're convinced they're lead up weight, and in fight weight aren't right, just as a bit of a warning shot to fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by RubenSonny View Post
              Incorrect, the reason for the rule change was to reduce cancellations - with the current rule if a fighter doesn't make weight he can simply return an hour or so later. The rule change has nothing to do with protecting fighters, same with banning 15 rounders. The current rules are very dangerous for a boxer e.g. Gerald McClellan or Ricky Hatton. With same day weighs fighters would be more likely forced to just move up to a natural weight if they can't make weight.
              What? Do you have a source for this?

Comment

Same day weigh ins would benefit boxers like like Pacquiao most. Whom walks around in the 140's and actually gains weight for fights.
                And be bad for boxers like S.Martinez who walks around at 180, who would be forced to fight at Light Heavy. Unless he wants to drain some pounds.

Comment

Originally posted by RubenSonny View Post
                  15 rounders stopped after the Mancini-Kim fight, although you can argue ONE of the main reasons was so that TV stations could nicely fit a 12 round fight in an hour slot (whereas 15 rounds went over). But this change occurred after the death of Kim and that's what prompted the rule change.

While I agree it's dangerous for fighters who rehydrate so much weight fighting smaller guys, etc., but I don't think it's even debatable that a dehydrated fighter is at more risk of serious injury, I believe this is scientific fact.

I think the combination of having SO MANY WEIGHT CLASSES is more of an issue. A true 160 pound fighter can easily just cut a few more pounds and fight at 154, etc., then blow up 15-20 pounds.

If we had the original 8 weight classes, or say 10, this wouldn't be as big of a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Wreckless View Post
                    Same day weigh ins would benefit boxers like like Pacquiao most. Whom walks around in the 140's and actually gains weight for fights.
                    And be bad for boxers like S.Martinez who walks around at 180, who would be forced to fight at Light Heavy. Unless he wants to drain some pounds.
                    Well, to be the best he's going to have to.

Comment

Working...
                    X