No announcement yet.

Rehydrating after weigh-in

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rehydrating after weigh-in

What is the proper technique to rehydrate and refuel after weigh-in?

This is particularly for a bigger man trying to make weight.

Gatorade? water? Take a sip every 20 minutes? Drink a pint every 30 minutes?

How about food? With 24 hours to fight, what should be the macro breakdown for each meal?

Originally posted by homestyle View Post
    What is the proper technique to rehydrate and refuel after weigh-in?

This is particularly for a bigger man trying to make weight.

Gatorade? water? Take a sip every 20 minutes? Drink a pint every 30 minutes?

How about food? With 24 hours to fight, what should be the macro breakdown for each meal?
    Drink Pedialyte...not Gatorade which has way to much sugar. Not more than 1 1/2 litres per hour and eat small amounts of food.

Comment

Originally posted by jaded View Post
      Drink Pedialyte...not Gatorade which has way to much sugar. Not more than 1 1/2 litres per hour and eat small amounts of food.
      I second this. What your body needs right thereafter is electrolytes but without the added refined sugar. Gatorade should only be taken after a workout when your body needs sugar to replenish lost glycogen.

Comment

Not more than 1 1/2 litres per hour and eat small amounts of food.
        lol, if you have to cut weight this will leave you either with no fight or a fight in the next higher division because you will not make weight. I would say that you've never dried out............Rockin'
        Last edited by Rockin'; 11-21-2011, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
          lol, if you have to cut weight this will leave you either with no fight or a fight in the next higher division because you will not make weight. I would say that you've never dried out............Rockin'
          I think he meant to rehydrate after the weigh in...

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
            You're really not making much sense here. If you have been dehydrating to cut weight the body can only be rehydrated at a rate of 1.5 litres per hour...and if you eat to much to fast you risk an upset stomach...and you definitely want everything you ate to be completely metabolized during the fight otherwise you will be using energy to break down food...energy you will need to fight.

If what you are saying here "if you have to cut weight this will leave you either with no fight" is that... you should never cut weight to fight...and that you are indeed the experienced expert about this...then obviously you don't know what you are talking about because it is done in the overwhelming majority of all fights and has been for decades. It's when you cut to much weight that you will be zapped...7 to 12 lbs is usually nothing and can easily be rehydrated in 24 hrs.

Comment

Here's a good endorsement for Pedialyte...

http://www.examiner.com/internationa...ao-marquez-iii

Electrolytes facilitate neurotransmitters in making the jump through the synapses of your central nervous system (kind of like when electricity arc's)...if you try to rehydrate with only water then you will be flushing out your electrolytes...the result will be slower/weaker labouring muscle responses...muscle cramping...headache and in the most extreme cases even stroke. Pedialyte has become the choice of many pros lately for rehydration because of the low sugar and proper balance of electrolytes. It is used for infants suffering from diarrhea as an electrolyte replenisher.

Comment

You're really not making much sense here. If you have been dehydrating to cut weight the body can only be rehydrated at a rate of 1.5 litres per hour...and if you eat to much to fast you risk an upset stomach...and you definitely want everything you ate to be completely metabolized during the fight otherwise you will be using energy to break down food...energy you will need to fight.

If what you are saying here "if you have to cut weight this will leave you either with no fight" is that... you should never cut weight to fight...and that you are indeed the experienced expert about this...then obviously you don't know what you are talking about because it is done in the overwhelming majority of all fights and has been for decades. It's when you cut to much weight that you will be zapped...7 to 12 lbs is usually nothing and can easily be rehydrated in 24 hrs.
                I thought that he was talking about making the weight, my mistake.

I really don't have any knowledge or first hand experience at cutting weight and rehydrating myself, I mean I only did it 50 or 60 times through the years. I used to lose 7 or 8 lbs in water weight every workout, then replenish. If your in the ring fighting chances are that you've dried out before. The fighters have 24 hours to replenish their bodies in the professionals. In the amatuers you only have approximately 3 to 5 hours toreplenish your body, it's a different animal.........Rockin'

Comment

I don't have any firsthand experience at cutting weight because I have fought at superheavy but I know guys that drink one of those immune bust packets with lots of vitamin c and b after weighing in at amateur fights. If I lost a lot of water weight training and I drink one, it makes me feel alot better.

Comment

its very individual. all i can say is make sure you dont cut too much weight. i assume your an amateur which means you can have as little 3 hours between weighing in and fighting as oposed to the 32 hours a professional would have.

personally i just dont drink anything when working out the night before teh fight, which is a very light workout anyways so i dont sweat much. i do eat but i make it a light meal.

then on the morning of the fight i skip breakfast and eat after the weigh in, right after. fight day meals are usually chicken salad or some wheat bread and 2-3 fruits. i drink lots of water right after the weigh in as well. then before the fight i have a protein shake and some more fruit.

it depends though, sometimes i fight at 152 in which case i have no restrictions, i dont weigh in more than 148 anyways. usually im like 146-147.

if im fighting at 141 i have to cut a little weight, weign in right at the limit and is about 146 in the ring. i should say i have that lanky paul williams, tommy hearns type of frame and can both cut weight very easily and gain it very fast. im almost 6'4 tall.

Comment

Working...
                    X