Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do You Agree With This? (From Bert Sugar Rankings)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do You Agree With This? (From Bert Sugar Rankings)

I don't want to debate his entire list. I just want to see your opinion of his ranking certain fighters over each other. Right.......

-George Foreman Over Pernell Whitaker?: Agree or Disagree?

-Jimmy McLarnin Over Sugar Ray Leonard: Agree or Disagree?

-Marcel Cerdan Over Marvin Hagler: Agree or Disagree?

-Jimmy Wilde Over Carlos Moznon: Agree or Disagree?

-Julio Cesar Chavez Over Ezzard Charles: Agree or Disagree?

Originally posted by Perfect Plex View Post
    I don't want to debate his entire list. I just want to see your opinion of his ranking certain fighters over each other. Right.......

I disagree with all of them. 1 and 5 are absolutely horrible and just ridiculous. 2 and 3 are probably the closest in terms of greatness but I could never have those rankings anyway.

Comment

Disagree with all of them, have never understood Sugars reasoning / criteria for his ridiculous ratings.

Comment

5 is very accurate. Merchant likes to point out that Mexicans have alot of fighters(so do the Japanese)--well, the old time boxing world was mostly Americans. Boxing wasn't nowhere near as global as it is today...... so by Merchants thinking, today's fighters are much better than yesterday's since there are more of them. Take that larry, you dumb old man. You don't even know when you're fighting yourself!!!!!!
        2,3 and 4 are dumb as hell.
        1 is possible since Whitaker at times struggled vs guys with speed. He was matched with guys that suited his style alot.
        Old fighters suck. Period.

Comment

Well I am already a big critic of Sugar's. The one ranking that gave me pause is Hagler Vs Cerdan..... in terms of record and resume I have Hagler. I also know how good Hagler was and I KNOW Cerdan was good....... Hagler has the better resume, but Cerdan died before we could tell his longevity........ As a head to head matchup I find it almost impossible to separate their skills and strengths...... Cerdan is one banger who could really test Haglers chin out more, and Cerdan had speed in buckets.... he will land often.... and their aggressiveness is about equal........ This would be an awesome war because Hagler would find outpointing Cerdan a massive task.......... Hagler will turn slugger and Cerdan might not mind that either. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- As for his other picks..... just awful.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMexHurricane View Post
            5 is very accurate. Merchant likes to point out that Mexicans have alot of fighters(so do the Japanese)--well, the old time boxing world was mostly Americans. Boxing wasn't nowhere near as global as it is today...... so by Merchants thinking, today's fighters are much better than yesterday's since there are more of them. Take that larry, you dumb old man. You don't even know when you're fighting yourself!!!!!!
            2,3 and 4 are dumb as hell.
            1 is possible since Whitaker at times struggled vs guys with speed. He was matched with guys that suited his style alot.
            Old fighters suck. Period.
            But there are NOT MORE BOXERS TODAY !!!.... That's just totally out there,.... you been watching U.F.O's tonight ???

Comment

Could see Wilde over Monzon and McLarlin over Leonard.
              Last edited by Barn; 09-23-2011, 03:18 PM.

Comment

No x 5 for me, but by and large his list is pretty accurate.

I can see arguments for McLarnin over SRL, and for Cerdan over Hagler. The rest just seem foolish.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
                  Yeah, I do to,... I overlooked that one........ Yeah Wilde is for sure in my book, #1. Flyweight is better than a guy at best #6 but I have him lower than that.. I know a few MW's that were better.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
                    I thought the same thing Mate. Wilde is an underatted fightyer.

Comment

Working...
                    X