Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are people so quick to accuse fighters of ducking?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are people so quick to accuse fighters of ducking?

People seem to love to say fighters are ducking each other. "Garcia is ducking Matthysse." "Donaire is ducking Rigo." "Floyd is ducking (insert fighter)." Some fights take time to materialise. Sure some fights never happen but that doesn't mean that fights don't come off because a fighter is "ducking". Boxing is a business first and fighters as well as promoters are looking to maximize profits. At times it can really suck for the fans, but that's just the nature of boxing. I doubt there are many fighters who are scared of each other.

Because Garcia is ducking Matthysse, Floyd obviously ducked Pacquiao, Margarito, Prime Cotto and Paul Williams.

Some fighters do ducks other fighter for whatever the reason. It doesn't always mean they're scared

Comment

Well, I think there are many reasons to do this but above all, I would have to say "it's just fun", comes to mind.

Comment

Don't knock it, it's part of the process that actually gets boxers to fight one another. One of the precious few influences fans actually have.

Comment

Originally posted by The Weebler II View Post
          Don't knock it, it's part of the process that actually gets boxers to fight one another. One of the precious few influences fans actually have.
          Agree with this. Also, a lot of times, said fighter IS ducking.

Comment

Originally posted by MANIAC310 View Post
            Because Garcia is ducking Matthysse, Floyd obviously ducked Pacquiao, Margarito, Prime Cotto and Paul Williams.

Some fighters do ducks other fighter for whatever the reason. It doesn't always mean they're scared
            Lol. We shall see if Garcia is ducking Matthysse. I think the fight will happen at some point. Smh at Floyd ducking Pacquiao and Cotto. Pacquiao is just as much to blame as Floyd for the fight not happening. After Floyd spanked Gatti (RIP), I don't remember Cotto being anxious to fight Floyd. When Cotto beat Mosley did he ask for a fight with Floyd? Did Cotto ever call Floyd out? You think Arum would've let Cotto fight Floyd?

Comment

lol @ including floyd's name ... floyd has been the biggest/longest reigning ducker in the history of boxing...there's is no defenidng that ****...

Comment

Originally posted by Since 1985 View Post
                After Floyd spanked Gatti (RIP), I don't remember Cotto being anxious to fight Floyd. When Cotto beat Mosley did he ask for a fight with Floyd? Did Cotto ever call Floyd out? You think Arum would've let Cotto fight Floyd?
                If you know Miguel Cotto approach you know taking on anyone is not a problem, the guy stepped back into the ring with the man that decimated him when he didn't have to take that fight.

Bob Arum did not want Cotto to fight Mayweather back when he beat Gatti, Mayweather said as much himself. 2007 was a different story.
                Last edited by Weebler I; 02-02-2013, 08:22 PM.

Comment

I agree they do become overstated.

A lot of the time, if fighter A didn't fight fighter B then fans like to assume that a duck happened. It's not always the case.

But let's not act like duck's don't happen. They do.

Comment

Originally posted by The Weebler II View Post
                    If you know Miguel Cotto approach you know taking on anyone is not a problem, the guy stepped back into the ring with the man that decimated him when he didn't have to take that fight.

Bob Arum did not want Cotto to fight Mayweather back when he beat Gatti, Mayweather said as much himself. 2007 was a different story.
                    So you think Arum would've allowed Cotto to fight Floyd in 2007?

Comment

Working...
                    X