Shane Carwin Pulls Out Of Fight With Roy Nelson Due To Injury

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shane Carwin Pulls Out Of Fight With Roy Nelson Due To Injury

Posted on Oct 26, 2010

Shane Carwin made the announcement today that he will be forced to pull out of a scheduled UFC 125 Heavyweight bout against Roy Nelson due to an injured back. He posted the following on his blog:

I am going to pull out of the fight with Roy Nelson. As many of you know I have been having some back pain. I had an MRI yesterday and I have some damage that may really require surgery. If the doctors do not have to perform surgery then I will be out 8-12 weeks. If they do have to perform surgery I do not know how long I will be out of action.

I was really looking forward to fighting again and obviously this is a very disappointing turn of events. My manager said "You can't fight the best fighters in the world with just heart, it is time to stop limping to the top of the mountain and get healthy so you can climb it on your terms." I have been up all night thinking about this decision and what I may be missing by making it.

In the end my family and manager are right. I owe myself, I owe my fans the best show I can give them. I need to get healthy. I am going to be speaking with the surgeon this week about the surgery. My thoughts are if the surgery fixes it why add 8-12 weeks of physical therapy, epidurals and traction if surgery may still be needed.

The good news is the doctors said I can work on my cardio (they must have seen my last fight lol) with this injury.

This is a hard decision but the right one and I home #TeamCarwin can stand by me through this period of my career. No one wants to get me back to winning more than me. I just need to be healthy to do it.

This type of thing is MMA. I know I am saying that a lot but it is the truth. We sacrifice our minds and bodies on our own time and our own dimes to prepare for battle. in hopes that we get the call for battle. In that process things can go wrong and if we don't compete we don't get paid. The time, money and sacrifices are lost and your opportunity might pass you by. Some fighters choose to fight injured as the risk is worth any part of the reward they may receive.

This is why sponsors who support fighters outside of when they fight are critical to this sports success. This is why I am always thanking my sponsors.

If it wasn't for my sponsors I would not be where I am and I surely would not able to make this very difficult decision right now. Thank you Dethrone, Budlight, Good4UDrinks, and performancemma.com for your continued support. Thank you to my other sponsors and to all of those helping us fighters chase this dream of being a Champion.

Thank you to Jason Genet for being able to make sure that all of my efforts in and out of the ring have value. You and your team have done so much for me and my family words cannot describe how grateful we are.

To my fan's, we will get there and in the end this is all for you. I hope to continue to entertain you and interact with you as much as possible.
    Link:
    http://www.mmanews.com/news/88838

Yes, yet another injury.

Really looking forward to this fight. I think Nelson would have won it.

Comment

Roy would have drowned him in the second anyway !

Comment

CroCop wants to be the replacement...

Comment

Originally posted by kaps View Post
          Please, no.

Big Country would beat up Carwin

Comment

Originally posted by kaps View Post

I don't know man, remember the last time CroCop replaced someone? I know he wasn't a 100%, but I don't think CroCop has a good chance at this point.

I was surprised he got the win against Barry to be honest.

I'd prefer Mir vs. Nelson.

Comment

Didn't Carwin test positive for roids?

Comment

Originally posted by Sweet Jesus View Post
                Didn't Carwin test positive for roids?
                Actually Carwin never tested positive for roids.

But he was linked to a doctor who gave steroids to his clients. Carwin was named as one the guys on the list who allegedly received steroids from that doctor.

The records are from 2006.

Comment

Damn, I was hoping for Roy to trash him. Carwin's so overrated it's not even funny. Not technique, all power. I hope he gets a good striker next that will tear him apart.

Comment

Hopefully they just postpone it.

Comment

Working...
                    X