No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Malignaggi Credits Mental Strength in Career Rebuild

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Malignaggi Credits Mental Strength in Career Rebuild

NEW YORK — Paulie Malignaggi’s bandwagon was far from full after his last fight in his hometown.

Critics contended “The Magic Man” was all out of tricks, that his one-sided, 11th-round technical knockout loss to British star Amir Khan was an indication of what was to come if he kept boxing. The hangers-on in a sizeable entourage exposed themselves as such, and even Malignaggi seemed discouraged after losing that WBA 140-pound title fight.

The brash Brooklyn native lost three professional fights before that May 2010 bout against Khan in The Theater at Madison Square Garden. But those losses either were close (Miguel Cotto), controversial (Juan Diaz) or at least partially justifiable (Ricky Hatton) because Malignaggi knew he was with the wrong trainer.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Ya gotta give Paulie some credit. Lou DaBully put him in the scrap heap and you can't blame him. Paulie did seem done and Lou didn't need to keep getting him beat. But Paulie was basically the only one that believed in himself and has gotten more mileage out of his career by leaving dirt McGirt and joining Golden Boy - even if GB was just initially using him as filler. Now he's gotten some paydays and a title. And imagine if he gets Hatton again? That's a sellable fight.

Comment

Paulie

There’s a market for Paulie, but like many guys he needs to be matched correctly. He’s not going to beat the A level guys even on his best day. I think he’ll continue to do well vs. the B level and European level champions. He has guts, a good chin, and people either root for him or against but makes for a decent draw. Good for him for not retiring 2 years back, if he beats Cano he can really cash out vs Hatton.

Comment

malignaggi has skills but all the other beltholders at ww would beat him. he should have fought bailey cuz he could have won that fight but devon is about to get that belt. devon beats him also.

Comment

Stating the obvious here, but Magic Man could have been a great if the punching power would of been there. The speed was there, the chin was there, just not the pop.

Comment

i credit clever matchmaking. fighting cano? con-man.

Comment

paulie is a solid boxer with a very good chin and fast hands. he's real tough.

still, a part of his longevity has come in part due to superb handling. he got his hands on a "world title" at 147 the easy way. he's a local attraction. he's a great salesman.

he's had a very good career, all things considered. he's got an easy title defense coming up

war malinaggi's management,

Comment

I gotta admit < im not a huge Puala fan cuz Im not down with his puckered lips queer pics he takes.. Cmon man.. stop that already.. but i gotta admit his career has been revived... Considering the injuries hes had with his hands I think he made a good comeback... and training at Wild Card does help also..

Comment

I'm just waiting patiently for Hatton to stop this guy again so that he can go away.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                    still, a part of his longevity has come in part due to superb handling. he got his hands on a "world title" at 147 the easy way. he's a local attraction. he's a great salesman.

he's had a very good career, all things considered. he's got an easy title defense coming up

war malinaggi's management,
                    Woah woah woah, my man. Couldn't be further from the truth.

Paulie went into an undefeated champion's backyard in a foreign country and took his title off him by stoppage. No one does that anymore.

American fighters get the champion to come over here. If they can't, then they pass up the fight. GBP was trying to get a 147 strap for Canelo a while back, but an agreement couldn't be reached with Senchenko or Zavec because they only wanted to fight in LA. Think of all the recent champs we have that got their belt by getting a foreign champ to come here. Chavez jr, Alexander, Berto, Guerrero.

Paulie is a god damn throwback for taking the title the old fashioned way.

Comment

Working...
                    X