Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ricky Hatton: Pacquiao-Mayweather would be anti-climax because Mayweather wins easily

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ricky Hatton: Pacquiao-Mayweather would be anti-climax because Mayweather wins easily

"I know people really talk that fight up, and are really excited about it happening, but I actually think that though people are talking about it as one of the biggest fights of all time, it could actually be an anti-climax because it could be a wide points decision for Floyd over Manny.”

Ricky Hatton, the former two weight world champion, who now oversees a stable of boxers as promoter from his Manchester gym, told The Telegraph in an exclusive interview yesterday that he believes the much-touted Manny Pacquiao v Floyd Mayweather Jnr match-up "could be an anti-climax because it could easily be a wide points decision for Floyd over Manny".

Hatton, who fought both men regarded as the leading two pound-for-pound fighters in the world today, and lost to both, also weighed in on the controversial result of the Manny Pacquiao – Juan Manuel Marquez fight in Las Vegas 11 days ago, insisting that he saw Marquez as the winner “by about two rounds.”

Controversially perhaps, Hatton told The Telegraph: “I thought Manny had problems with Marquez’s style and maybe he would always have problems with that style. Pacquiao is a pure fighter. On the strength of that contest and performance, it is hard to see how Manny would beat Floyd Mayweather if they actually ever meet in a ring."

"I know people really talk that fight up, and are really excited about it happening, but I actually think that though people are talking about it as one of the biggest fights of all time, it could actually be an anti-climax because it could be a wide points decision for Floyd over Manny.”

Hatton had fulsome praise for Amir Khan – awarded the British Boxing Board of Control's 'Fighter of The Year' on Sunday night at a glittering gala ceremony at the Novotel, Hammersmith, London – whom Hatton believes has the style to make a fair challenge against Floyd Mayweather Jnr. There has been speculation that Khan may face Mayweather in 2012.

Hatton also insisted that British fans should take note of the impressive improvements made by Khan, the WBA and IBF light-welterweight champion, and believes he may have the style to trouble the American welterweight. “You really have to marvel at how much Amir has come on since he lost to Breidis Prescott three years ago. He has become a formidable boxer. Amir has that in-out style which could give Mayweather problems."

"Floyd likes fighters coming straight at him and Amir has the style to challenge Floyd. I’m not saying he would beat Floyd but I think he has a good chance against him. Floyd has that style like James Degale, who looks like a world beater when someone’s coming at him. I’m a huge fan of Amir and how much hard work he has put into his career in to trying to get to the top of the sport.”

Hatton does not believe that Khan would ever step into a ring against Pacquiao, however. "I think you can see that they are close friends, they have the same trainer, and it would be a very difficult step to take. I just don't see it."

Hatton also added that in the 18-month period after losing to Pacquiao before announcing his retirement, he had been tempted to fight Oscar de la Hoya at Wembley Stadium. “We talked about that fight and I was really tempted because I know we could have sold the place out twice over, but deep inside, hard as it was for me to admit, I knew my career was over.”
    http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/sport/g...r-wins-easily/

Last edited by SyrianPoster; 11-21-2011, 11:08 PM.

Comment

Same here. I really don't care for this fight either. I thought Floyd vs Oscar 154, Ortiz at 147, and Shane at 147 were great fights. Well not Ortiz so much.

I'd like to see floyd fight Khan. There's more excitement and unknowns there. Manny really can't adapt and Floyd will destroy him.

Comment

Just go to a rehabilitation center to cure your addiction.

Comment

hold up !!!! why am i not surprised that hatton who had his career ended by manny would try to find away to hate !!!!!!!!!!
          Last edited by treason1; 11-21-2011, 11:11 PM.

Comment

Hatton is most likely still having nightmares about Manny Pacquiao.

Worse 2 rounds of his life.

Comment

Its hard to even care about this fight anymore. Im trying, I really am but its just way overdue.
              Its like having foreplay for 4 hours or some crap, you just dont even care anymore and just want to go to sleep.

Comment

All common opponents say Floyd wins, but hey what do they know. I need Check_hooks or Bombs wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by SonOfCuba View Post
                  Hatton is most likely still having nightmares about Manny Pacquiao.

Worse 2 rounds of his life.
                  common man everyone knows that after the mayweather fight he wasn't interested in the sport anymore...he started using drugs and became a part time alcoholic..and he became a fat man...he fought pac for the money...one should not fight if he's not hungry..the hatton mayweather fought was the hatton who beat the legendary kostya tszyu then pac got hold of the leftovers..so typical lol

Comment

I agree with Hatton. I think Floyd wins this match up, if ever it happens. I'm not counting Manny out, though.. a good puncher always has a chance.

Comment

Working...
                    X