Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What people don't realize about Sugar Ray Leonard's Greatness is...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What people don't realize about Sugar Ray Leonard's Greatness is...

That he was retired at the young age of 25, with TKO victories over prime Wilfred Benitez, Tommy Hears and Roberto Durant.

He then retires due to eye injury on his left eye, is ordered by doctor not to fight, stay away from the ring for 3 years. Then comes back to fight, with no tune ups and beats the best pound for pound fighter in the world in the world at that time... Marvlin Hagler.

So when you Mayweather and Pacquiao fans are out there making statements about either of them being the best fighters of all time, remember that boxing dosen't consist of only the last 10 years.

No problem with Leonard being great, he fought great fighters and won great fights.

Comment

Am a big Ray Leonard fan (Check username) but just like any great boxer over the last 30 years or so there are positives and negatives surrounding them, Must power to him for coming out and fighting Hagler without any tune ups but he also fought Hagler "according to him" when he knew hagler wasnt the same fighter, He also looked for advantages in contracts before agreeing to step in the ring with Hagler, something Pac/Roach would be proud off, He then fought Lalonde (If i remember correctly) at a smaller weight while he require lalonde to also put his belt from a different division on the line in that same fight.

So while Ray is a great fighter and a warrior he also did all the things that we accuse the RJJ,Mayweather or Pacquiao of doing right now.

Comment

Fast fighters and sharp fighters dont need tune ups, all they need is to get in shape.

Comment

As great as Leonard was he still lost to a LW moving up 2 weight classes. That cant happen ever. Hes still great though.

Comment

Originally posted by leonthegee View Post
            As great as Leonard was he still lost to a LW moving up 2 weight classes. That cant happen ever. Hes still great though.
            Tell 'em how he ducked a midget like Pryor too. Tell 'em, baby!

Comment

He came out of retirement after six years to fight Camacho without a tune up.

Comment

Originally posted by SonOfCuba View Post
                That he was retired at the young age of 25, with TKO victories over prime Wilfred Benitez, Tommy Hears and Roberto Durant.

He then retires due to eye injury on his left eye, is ordered by doctor not to fight, stay away from the ring for 3 years. Then comes back to fight, with no tune ups and beats the best pound for pound fighter in the world in the world at that time... Marvlin Hagler.

People dont know that?

That's common knowledge

Comment

Originally posted by Marcov View Post
                  He came out of retirement after six years to fight Camacho without a tune up.
                  I could of sworn I said he was great.

Comment

i could of sworn i said he was great.
                    twice!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X