No announcement yet.

Great IRISH BOXERS--- Not just based in IRELAND

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great IRISH BOXERS--- Not just based in IRELAND

I thought this might introduce a thread about the great IRISH named boxers from IRELAND, AUSTRALIA, U.S.A., CANADA, NEW ZEALAND and even LATIN AMERICA.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I'd like your lists of your favorite IRISH names from the history of boxing, I want names from the 1800's. So bring out your McLarnins and Darcy's and Dempsey's.-------------------------------------------------------------------------- I want to get enough names so we can come up with the Top 50 Irish boxers of all time,.... This is a Democratic thread,------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ The Irish are famed for their Yarns and great humour, feel free to indulge in telling some good old tall tales.-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ALL THINGS IRISH,--------HAVE FUN PEOPLE.

Calling all Irish

Originally posted by McGoorty View Post
    I thought this might introduce a thread about the great IRISH named boxers from IRELAND, AUSTRALIA, U.S.A., CANADA, NEW ZEALAND and even LATIN AMERICA.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I'd like your lists of your favorite IRISH names from the history of boxing, I want names from the 1800's. So bring out your McLarnins and Darcy's and Dempsey's.-------------------------------------------------------------------------- I want to get enough names so we can come up with the Top 50 Irish boxers of all time,.... This is a Democratic thread,------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ The Irish are famed for their Yarns and great humour, feel free to indulge in telling some good old tall tales.-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ALL THINGS IRISH,--------HAVE FUN PEOPLE.
    Anybody with IRISH blood on today ?

Comment

I'll help jump-start this thread for you my friend.

Sean O'Grady
      Tom Sharkey
      John L.Sullivan
      James J. Braddock
      Tony Zale (Just kidding. Couldn't resist from the Les Darcy thread)

Comment

Jimmy Mclarnin is the greatest Irish fighter of all time, IMO.

One of the most elite resumes of all time and beat as many HOF'ers as the great Harry Greb (Technically).

Comment

andre ward is half Irish
          Ali is 13% Irish if not more

" I'm gonna kill this halfbreed! " - Joe Frazier

Comment

Im irish so only i know bernard dunne was alright and i would have to say muhammed ali as he is irish also mike tyson is irish

Comment

Now that i think of IT some of the best boxer have irish in them look it up ireland=best

Comment

I'll restrict mine to one that were born in Ireland (north or south) and not of irish decent

a few oldies I know next to nothing about these guys other than having read a few articles:

McClarnin
                NP Jack Dempsey
                Tom Sharkey
                Peter Maher
                George Gardiner
                Paddy Ryan

How good would most of these guys be considered had a certain Mr Fitzsimmons never been born?

A few modern ones:
                Barry McGuigan
                Steve Collins
                Wayne McCullough
                Bernerd Dunne

edit:- Forgot about Rinty Monaghan a rare Northern Irish world champ
                Last edited by gingeralbino; 07-29-2011, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry A View Post
                  I'll help jump-start this thread for you my friend.

Sean O'Grady
                  Tom Sharkey
                  John L.Sullivan
                  James J. Braddock
                  Tony Zale (Just kidding. Couldn't resist from the Les Darcy thread)
                  I like that, Zale probably wished he was Irish, lol, there's Vic Patrick and that's funny too, his real name was Lucca, a 2nd generation Italian-Australian. I like "the cut of your jib". You know you could be right about Zale v Darcy, it's possible.

Comment

imho Jimmy McLarnin is the GOAT Irish fighter

Comment

Working...
                    X