No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Eddie Hearn on Froch, Groves and Online Criticism

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Eddie Hearn on Froch, Groves and Online Criticism

Two of Britain's finest Super middleweights face stiff tests this weekend. Nottingham's Carl Froch and London's George Groves appear at London's O2 Arena live on Sky Box Office on Saturday night in a pair of fights that could have a massive impact on their futures. Froch rematches Mikkel Kessler for the IBF and WBA Super World titles in the main event; Groves meets Noe Gonzalez Alcoba on the undercard. The home fighters are heavily favoured going into their respective bouts and, despite Froch's claims to the contrary, could be building towards an all-British Super middleweight match-up. However, promoter Eddie Hearn believes that Froch will have to be at his very best to avenge his May 2010 decision defeat to Kessler. [Click Here To Read More]

I started a real fan of Matchroom when they were new to the scene and hungry, but am now put off by them and Sky. Firstly I dont like how Adam Smith has turned Sky into Matchroom TV, other promoters should also be given dates, there's no problem with the biggest promoter getting the lions share but why help one build a monopoly!?

Also the Prizefighter series was a interesting little gimmick, but now it does need to be put to bed, its boring and doesn't unearth any real talent. Its just become a sideshow and quick payday for domestic level fighters.

Comment

I like Eddie Hearn, he seems a good and likeable guy and so far in the main he's looked to make the best fights for the fans.

I don't agree with Matchroom having a monopoly on sky and think long-term it'll be to the detriment of boxers. With no other deals on offer as promoters don't have TV dates - Matchroom can offer the fighters less and less for their contracts as the fighters will have no alternative through competition from other promoters which is the way it is going and the boxers can thank Mr Bean for that.

Hearn has a reputation for looking to make the big fights but that'll quickly change if he labels us with a Groves match up instead of Hopkins next then his reputation will be seriously tarnished.

He'll be known as another Warren if this happens.

You can dress it up as a rivalry, but fans aren't stupid and it's what you've done in the ring that matters - not a created rivialry to sell a fight.

Harrison Haye anyone?

Groves has sparred Kessler so there's a rivalry there, perrrrrlease. Everyone knows Groves has no credibility for a fight with Froch right now and is unlikely to have for 12/18 month - until he at least hold's a strap or has shared the ring with somebody that'll show he's on that level.

Hearn's reputation is in the balance and you sensing more and more fans are starting to question him, it takes a longtime to make and can take one fight to break.

The more I think about it, I think Hearn is for real, I think he relly wants to pit the best against the best for the fans and will not let and want to let the fans down by making a joke fight, instead of pairing Froch against a legend like Hopkins.

You can just imagine what Warren would be saying - he made Calzaghe Hopkins and Hearn makes Froch Groves etc.
      Last edited by SAJ10; 05-22-2013, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Hearn doesn't try and treat the fans like a bunch of morons claiming garbage fights are the best thing since Gatti-Ward like most promoters, that could change with experience but then so would peoples opinion of him.

Comment

Originally posted by SAJ10 View Post
          I like Eddie Hearn, he seems a good and likeable guy and so far in the main he's looked to make the best fights for the fans.

I don't agree with Matchroom having a monopoly on sky and think long-term it'll be to the detriment of boxers. With no other deals on offer as promoters don't have TV dates - Matchroom can offer the fighters less and less for their contracts as the fighters will have no alternative through competition from other promoters which is the way it is going and the boxers can thank Mr Bean for that.

Hearn has a reputation for looking to make the big fights but that'll quickly change if he labels us with a Groves match up instead of Hopkins next then his reputation will be seriously tarnished.

He'll be known as another Warren if this happens.

You can dress it up as a rivalry, but fans aren't stupid and it's what you've done in the ring that matters - not a created rivialry to sell a fight.

Harrison Haye anyone?

Groves has sparred Kessler so there's a rivalry there, perrrrrlease. Everyone knows Groves has no credibility for a fight with Froch right now and is unlikely to have for 12/18 month - until he at least hold's a strap or has shared the ring with somebody that'll show he's on that level.

Hearn's reputation is in the balance and you sensing more and more fans are starting to question him, it takes a longtime to make and can take one fight to break.

The more I think about it, I think Hearn is for real, I think he relly wants to pit the best against the best for the fans and will not let and want to let the fans down by making a joke fight, instead of pairing Froch against a legend like Hopkins.

You can just imagine what Warren would be saying - he made Calzaghe Hopkins and Hearn makes Froch Groves etc.
          Haye-Harrison wasn't a created rivalry weren't with the same promoter and Haye wanted no part of it, Sky and other media were pushing for that fight to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Own3d View Post
            Haye-Harrison wasn't a created rivalry weren't with the same promoter and Haye wanted no part of it, Sky and other media were pushing for that fight to happen.
            However it happened I remember the boxing fans didn't want that fight. The general public felt they got fooled into afterwards and Haye got absolutely slated for it.

Nothing wrong with Groves fighting Froch when he's proved himself but take to him next over Hopkins will see Hearn's credibility fall massively.

Comment

Originally posted by Own3d View Post
              They were friends. Concocted the whole farce together.

Comment

Owned is right Haye didn't want the Harrison fight initially, but the TV companies kept offering easy money so he took it.

Comment

It wasn't a credible fight though and a lot of fans turned on Haye because of it.

Groves next isn't credible - maybe 12/18 months yes. I doubt Froch would take Groves - he's never looked to take the easy road but whether he'll take on a legend like Hopkins remains to be seen.

Don't get me wrong I don't think he's afraid of Hopkins in that sense but stylistically I think he doubts whether he could deal or beat him.

Comment

Working...
                  X