Nate Marquardt Calls Out Wanderlei Silva

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nate Marquardt Calls Out Wanderlei Silva

http://steverattlesnake.cliquezone.c...anderlei-silva

“In order to re-establish myself as the number one contender, my next opponent needs to be an elite fighter who will stand and bang with me in the center of the Octagon until one of us is knocked out. The fight that makes the most sense to me is Wanderlei Silva. I have a ton of respect for Wanderlei and have wanted this fight for years, the fans have wanted this fight, they deserve to see two of the best fighters in the world in an all out war.

Wanderlei is an amazing fighter who is very aggressive, I will pursue him with unwavering tenacity, then I will knock him out! I promise the UFC, Dana, my fans, my team, my coaches and most importantly myself that never again will there be a question about my cage aggression.”

I'd rather see Leben vs. Wanderlei.

Leben is the more exciting fighter and deserves big fight with Silva more than Marquardt does. Wanderlei is still a big draw.

Marquardt just lost 2 out of his last 3 fights.

Comment

^^^Yup.

Leben won twice in 2 weeks in order to earn a shot at Wanderlei, and is a much more entertaining fighter than Marquardt.

I think they should match Bisping/Marquart/Maia/Grove up (I know that the latter two are fighting next week). As a Maia fan, I'd like to see him get a chance to avenge his KO defeat, and I also think Maia-Bisping is an interesting fight.

I think the MW division is pretty stale now. I think Dana should push for GSP-Silva, and if that can't happen he should push for Shogun-Silva and have a 4/8 man tournament to crown a new champion at 185.

Comment

Marquardt is full of ****, he's just saying this to get teh fight signed so he can then take Silva down and smother him...

Comment

Not sure why Marquardt would opt for a former knock-outer of Japanese cans like Wanderlei Silva when he could be facing top dogs from The Ultimate Fighter such as Michael Bisping or C.B. Dollaway.

Comment

Originally posted by Nodogoshi View Post
            Not sure why Marquardt would opt for a former knock-outer of Japanese cans like Wanderlei Silva when he could be facing top dogs from The Ultimate Fighter such as Michael Bisping or C.B. Dollaway.
            All these guys want Wand now that he is completely shot. Beating him at this stage of his career is about as meaningful as beating Chuck Liddell. . . it doesn't amount to shit.

Comment

Originally posted by jakkups View Post
              All these guys want Wand now that he is completely shot. Beating him at this stage of his career is about as meaningful as beating Chuck Liddell. . . it doesn't amount to shit.
              It amounts to a highlight reel knockout that probably is gonna get you an extra 60k in bonus cash, plus a spot on the main card on ppv where u just got a highlight reel ko.

Like it or not ko-ing former legends does wonders. You get that big confidence and its your head thats working with your heart in the gym again.

Rashad shot up after beating liddell, and even if you dont think much of him you cant tell me you didnt find yourself givin franklin props after his ko win. It was a much needed ko at that and just makes you more marketable in footage. Do you know how sick to there stomach the UFC get when the watch the highlight footage they use for poor Jon Fitch, lol a bunch of slamming and nothing else, I THINK THEY EVEN STILL USE HIS REAR NAKED CHOKE OF ROAN CANIERO!!!THATS FROM LIKE 1995!!!!!!

Even Wandys chin has done wonders, look at Rampage and Hendo

Comment

I read somewhere that the Leben-Wandy fight wasn't happening...

Comment

Originally posted by Dice View Post
                  It amounts to a highlight reel knockout that probably is gonna get you an extra 60k in bonus cash, plus a spot on the main card on ppv where u just got a highlight reel ko.

Like it or not ko-ing former legends does wonders. You get that big confidence and its your head thats working with your heart in the gym again.

Rashad shot up after beating liddell, and even if you dont think much of him you cant tell me you didnt find yourself givin franklin props after his ko win. It was a much needed ko at that and just makes you more marketable in footage. Do you know how sick to there stomach the UFC get when the watch the highlight footage they use for poor Jon Fitch, lol a bunch of slamming and nothing else, I THINK THEY EVEN STILL USE HIS REAR NAKED CHOKE OF ROAN CANIERO!!!THATS FROM LIKE 1995!!!!!!

Even Wandys chin has done wonders, look at Rampage and Hendo
                  It may be a quick way of jumping the queue or make a quick buck in the UFC but to me personally it doesn't amount to anything other than a win over a former great who is far removed from his prime years. I'm in no doubt that beating someone who has accomplished a lot in their career gives them confidence and more power to them.

Rashad got better after Liddell but the jury's still out on him IMO. The win over Forrst doesn't look athat special considering what Silva did to him, and catching a flat footed Rampage after a 14 month layoff aren't that impressive. A convincing win over Shogun will gain him outright respect.

Where did I say I didn't think much of Franklin? I don't think his KO over Liddell was shit, the guy was losing the fight, had a broken arm and still KO'ed him, fair play. Can't knock the performance, but KO'ing a Liddell who had won 1 fight in his last 5, had been KO'ed 3 times with 2 of those being the 2 fights before facing Franklin, isn't the same as KO'ing a Liddell circa 2001-2006 where he was at his best. Beating these guys when their careers are pretty much over as far as being an elite fighter at the top of the pile doesn't get much respect from me. That's not a knock on Franklin, I was giving an example as to how credible I believe a win over Wanderlei right now would amount to in my own personal opinion. The only way that I give guys total props is if they blow these guys out without any trouble whatsoever.

Your HL reel isn't what defines your wins, the level of comp and where the comp is with regards to their own careers is what makes it truly relevant when it's all said and done. Quite frankly I could give a monkey's about the marketing side, it's not what I watch it for.

Comment

Originally posted by jakkups View Post
                    It may be a quick way of jumping the queue or make a quick buck in the UFC but to me personally it doesn't amount to anything other than a win over a former great who is far removed from his prime years. I'm in no doubt that beating someone who has accomplished a lot in their career gives them confidence and more power to them.

Rashad got better after Liddell but the jury's still out on him IMO. The win over Forrst doesn't look athat special considering what Silva did to him, and catching a flat footed Rampage after a 14 month layoff aren't that impressive. A convincing win over Shogun will gain him outright respect.

Where did I say I didn't think much of Franklin? I don't think his KO over Liddell was shit, the guy was losing the fight, had a broken arm and still KO'ed him, fair play. Can't knock the performance, but KO'ing a Liddell who had won 1 fight in his last 5, had been KO'ed 3 times with 2 of those being the 2 fights before facing Franklin, isn't the same as KO'ing a Liddell circa 2001-2006 where he was at his best. Beating these guys when their careers are pretty much over as far as being an elite fighter at the top of the pile doesn't get much respect from me. That's not a knock on Franklin, I was giving an example as to how credible I believe a win over Wanderlei right now would amount to in my own personal opinion. The only way that I give guys total props is if they blow these guys out without any trouble whatsoever.

Your HL reel isn't what defines your wins, the level of comp and where the comp is with regards to their own careers is what makes it truly relevant when it's all said and done. Quite frankly I could give a monkey's about the marketing side, it's not what I watch it for.
                    I never said anything about you feeling that way about those fighters, I was refering to the general public. As far as your feelings, I clearly knew you felt that way but im sure you understand that your just 10 percent (the educated fan) of the market. The other 90 percent are the ones who make ko0ing past prime bums worthwhile. They are the ones all lolly gagged overthe hl reels.

Its not much for your rep among hardcore fans but finacially, that ko of liddell led to a ko of Forrest, which led to him gettin ko-ed by machida and then the wins over Silva, Rampage. Thats over a million dollars in salary plus bonuses as well as headlining every single one of those fights. Thats huge. Fans may not care about the business side but fighters sure do.

Marquart im sure aint makin Rashad money and he wants to be, he wants those headliners dam near all fighters do. At worst Wanderlei Silva is a main card fight in a LOADED card or a headliner at best.

I actually wouldnt mind seeing the two fight

Comment

Working...
                    X