Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This guy says boxing is done mma is taking over!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This guy says boxing is done mma is taking over!

http://www2.nesn.com/ramiro/2009/07/...old-on-boxing/

GO TO THE LINK

I find so called 'mixed martial arts' to be B-O-R-I-N-G!!!

Seriously, I would rather watch two rats ****ing in a wool sock. Don't worry about it. Boxing is not going anywhere.

Comment

Mir vs Lesnar wasn't even that great anyways.

Comment

Comment

dont click the link cause the author only needs traffic

Comment

He's an idiot.

Comment

Originally posted by JM1 View Post
              dont click the link cause the author only needs traffic
              MMA has stranglehold on boxing
              by Ramiro, July 15, 2009 – 8:17 pm
              MMA has stranglehold on boxing

lesnar-400After watching UFC 100, it’s official. Boxing is done.

You hear me? Finito. Thanks for keeping the seat warm, now please step aside. Actually Boxing, why don’t you just leave the room altogether? Because Mixed Martial Arts is moving in, my friend.

Now, I’m not going to get into personality comparisons, because with guys like Marciano, Ali, Frazier, Foreman, Hagler, Leonard and Tyson, boxing wins hands down … for now. But that’s just because it’s been around forever and the UFC isn’t even 20 years old.

But as far as pure action, excitement, athletic skill, intelligence (I said it) and safety (yeah, I went there too), MMA wins hands down.

Let’s break it down, shall we?

Action/Excitement
              MMA is primal. It’s war. It is the ultimate test of manhood. Two men enter, one man leaves as the clear-cut winner. Every now and then, a fight comes down to a split decision and the judges pick a winner that I might not agree with, but there’s never been an outright baloney decision just to set up a rematch. Can’t say the same for boxing.

Plus, there are three rounds in a fight (five in a title fight), so there’s an urgency to win quickly as opposed to sticking and moving for 12 rounds. Any shot you take could be your last. It’s a modern day gladiator competition.

It also really epitomizes all of those typical sports cliches like, “he wanted it more” or “he showed more heart.” Don’t get me wrong, I love all sports (and I promise I’ll start watching hockey next season, so stop harassing me). But I think that the ability to defeat someone who’s literally trying to beat you into submission shows a lot more heart than getting someone to swing and miss at a curveball. Obviously, that is still exciting, but it’s just not the same.

Athletic skill
              C’mon now? Do I even need to go there?

Boxing involves two men punching each other with huge, padded gloves. MMA involves … well, everything. Punching, kicking, wrestling, grappling, short range, long range … and you can win by knockout or submission. That means you have to be an all-around athlete to be good. Put a great puncher against a great all-around athletic fighter and I don’t see good things happening for the puncher.

Intelligence
              People have this notion that all MMA guys are just meatheads who love to beat each other’s brains in, yet they’ll argue that boxing is a thinking man’s sport. Really?

Let’s go back to the punching, kicking and grappling that I mentioned earlier. To enter a competition like this without a finely tuned game plan is like being a soldier, having your superior hand you a pistol and saying, “The bad guys are somewhere up in those mountains. Go get ‘em, cowboy!” You’re going to want to know how many bad guys there are, where they are and if you need something more substantial to take them down, like a machine gun, grenade or bazooka, right? So why do people assume that these athletes are just idiots who like to fight?

Safety
              If you’re not sitting down already, you better now. I’m about to drop some knowledge!

OK, in boxing, you go until you knock the other guy out to the point where he can’t answer a 10 count or gets TKO’d (knocked down 3 times in a round). In MMA, you go until you get knocked out (as in unconscious), choked out (again unconscious), tap out to a submission move (basically give up) or can’t “intelligently defend yourself” (the referee stops it because your opponent is basically beating the crap out of you and you’re basically just taking it).

How’s MMA safer? Because once you get knocked silly, the fight’s over. In boxing, you’re getting your brains rattled for 10-12 rounds and no one’s stopping the fight even if you’re obviously getting pummeled. That’s not good for your long-term health. Also, the fact that the guy hitting you is wearing padded gloves makes a lot of fighters eat a couple of shots just so they can get in some of their own. Very few MMA fighters employ this strategy because, since you’re getting hit with a very light glove (basically a fist), you might not be able to eat even one shot before getting knocked out.

So, I’ve tried to keep this list as brief and basic as possible. I won’t even get into how boxing is full of shady promoters that set up their guys with easy fights just to keep their belts.

But one more reason why the UFC is now boxing’s daddy?

If you set up either one of the Klitschkos against Brock Lesnar in a “champion versus champion, anything goes” fight, Brock would quickly take boxing boy down and turn his face into something that resembled raw hamburger. Then he would flip off the crowd, insult a sponsor and say that he’s going home to get on top of his wife.

OK, so it’s not perfect.

Comment

What a ****ing ******

Comment

I dont see why so many boxing fans hate MMA, it's really quite entertaining, sometimes it can be extremely brutal.

When people say "omgz they just dry hump the **** out of each other" they have no clue how hard it is to go from a mount to side control and submissions...it's a really hard sport and some people just need to be open to it, it's really quite brutal...

Comment

I dont see why so many boxing fans hate MMA, it's really quite entertaining, sometimes it can be extremely brutal.

When people say "omgz they just dry hump the **** out of each other" they have no clue how hard it is to go from a mount to side control and submissions...it's a really hard sport and some people just need to be open to it, it's really quite brutal...

Comment

Working...
                    X