No announcement yet.

Danish Welterweight Frank Olsen

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Danish Welterweight Frank Olsen

Was active between 1995 & 2001 - he turned pro against a man named Dick Swallow - built up a record of 35 (19) - 1 (with the loss coming against tough Argie Carlos Baldomir - who then went on to beat Zudah & Gatti) then suddenly retired aged 28.

I know we have a few Danes posting on here. Can anyone shed any light on what happened? Was there a mooted bout between him & Hasan Al at any time? Coincidentally Al's only loss was also to Baldomir in Denmark.

And what is he doing now?

Thanks.

Frank Olsen was a decent Danish welterweight - though not really world class.

He came from the amateur club CIK, where he was trained by his father, Richard Olsen... who also brought Mikkel Kessler up from the amateurs (and trained him for most of his pro career, until he was sacked after the Ward defeat!).

As an amateur Frank won the Danish championship at welterweight in 1993, and the Copenhagen Box Cup in 1994 - beating Hassan Al in the semi-finals, by the way!

The following year he turned pro under Mogens Palle, and won his first 30 in a row... but was then matched with Carlos Baldomir, who was simply too tough and outlasted the Dane to score a 10-rounds stoppage win.

After this Frank's heart wasn't really in it any more, and after 5 more fights he called it quits... with the Baldomir fight being the only loss on his record.

In late 1999 a fight against Hassan Al for the IBF Inter-Continental welterweight title was in the works, but Al withdrew from the fight, claiming he could no longer make welterweight... so a pro meeting between these two former amateur rivals never came off.

Frank is not really in the news any more here in Denmark - so I'm not quite sure, what he's doing today. Last year I heard, he was a football ("soccer" to you Yanks!) trainer - but whether he makes his livelihood from that, I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by Bundana View Post
      Frank Olsen was a decent Danish welterweight - though not really world class.

He came from the amateur club CIK, where he was trained by his father, Richard Olsen... who also brought Mikkel Kessler up from the amateurs (and trained him for most of his pro career, until he was sacked after the Ward defeat!).

As an amateur Frank won the Danish championship at welterweight in 1993, and the Copenhagen Box Cup in 1994 - beating Hassan Al in the semi-finals, by the way!

The following year he turned pro under Mogens Palle, and won his first 30 in a row... but was then matched with Carlos Baldomir, who was simply too tough and outlasted the Dane to score a 10-rounds stoppage win.

After this Frank's heart wasn't really in it any more, and after 5 more fights he called it quits... with the Baldomir fight being the only loss on his record.

In late 1999 a fight against Hassan Al for the IBF Inter-Continental welterweight title was in the works, but Al withdrew from the fight, claiming he could no longer make welterweight... so a pro meeting between these two former amateur rivals never came off.

Frank is not really in the news any more here in Denmark - so I'm not quite sure, what he's doing today. Last year I heard, he was a football ("soccer" to you Yanks!) trainer - but whether he makes his livelihood from that, I don't know.
      Thanks a lot, Mate. I appreciate the time it took for you to respond. Very much appreciated.

p.s. I ain't a Yank, just a Londoner who likes sunshine

And I will probably ask another question about another obscure contender about another country soon.....

Comment

Working...
      X