Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Nigel Benn One of the Best Super Middleweights ever?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Nigel Benn One of the Best Super Middleweights ever?

Nigel Benn was a great champion and in my eyes the most exciting boxer ever in britain. He is a 2 weight champion and had great fights with Eubank, dewitt, barkley and most of all McClellan. Is he one of the best ever Super Middleweights in the world?

Yes. Which is obviously impressive and a notable accomplishment, but at the same time the division is not that old so it isn't really comparable to being one of the best middleweights ever.

Calzaghe/Jones/Toney are the best 3 (the order is debatable). After that I think Benn is 4th or 5th, though a few boxers certainly represent tough match-ups for him. Of course he lost to Eubank, but at 168 they drew and most had Benn winning, plus I think Benn's body of work at SMW was better than Eubank's.

Comment

Benn is the fourth greatest Super-Middle of all-time, in my estimation. He sits below Jones, Calzaghe & Toney.

Comment

I think he would make anyones top 5 at 168 and despite it not being one of the original 8 its had some really good fighters although the majority have just been passing through,with the exception of calzaghe

Comment

Originally posted by The_Demon View Post
          I think he would make anyones top 5 at 168 and despite it not being one of the original 8 its had some really good fighters although the majority have just been passing through,with the exception of calzaghe
          I agree i have
          Calzaghe
          Jones
          Toney
          Benn
          Eubank

Benn would clean up the division if he was at his peak with the guys that are around now. The guy was a machine.

Comment

I have my top 5 in the same order as you Stallone

If any of those guys were at there peak right now then they would be king of the division,imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Stallone60 View Post
              I agree i have
              Calzaghe
              Jones
              Toney
              Benn
              Eubank

Benn would clean up the division if he was at his peak with the guys that are around now. The guy was a machine.
              How do you justify having Benn above Eubank?

Comment

Ahh The Dark Destroyer Nigel Benn What a Fighter!

Im gonna have to put Roy Jones in at the number one spot and James Toney at two but apart from them i cant think of many more deserving fighters? Calzaghe tops him on achievements but when i put those two fighters in my mind Benn smashes him to bits!

I'll add this tho and i know nobody will agree but in years to come Andre Ward will be a serious consideration, that boy is good im telling u he can Fight and thats with a capital F!

Comment

I'd say so. Obvioulsey the division isn't one of the strongest. But Benn has a good track record at 168lb.

He made nine defences of his WBC title and reigned for 4 years. And held wins over Thulani Malinga, Gerald McClellan, & most feel deserved a win against Chris Eubank which would of made him undisputed champion.

In world title fights at 168lb fights his record was 9-3-1.

Comment

Benn would fight anyone and didnt avoid anyone. Benn and Eubank both held 2 world titles but benn held the WBC a much better version of the super middleweight title for 4 years. Benn fought McClellan and was a big underdog a risky fight were Eubank didnt fight any big Stars and didnt take any risks because he was in the game for the money and just took on lower par fighters for the pay day. I have watched benn eubank 2 and i had benn winning by 2 rounds. Benn is higher ranked than eubank because the fact that he would fight against a big name and win and eubank didnt fight any big names like McClellan nunn etc only fighting Watson, benn and no one else big until he was beat by Collins. Benn also won 2 world titles aboroad which isnt easy to do.

Comment

Working...
                    X