Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do people realise, Amateur boxing and Pro boxing are different?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do people realise, Amateur boxing and Pro boxing are different?

I have seen a lot of complaining about the "robberies" occurring at the Olympics, which is not that surprising as Team USA had a seven fight losing streak and the vast majority of their team were eliminated yesterday. Two things strike me about all this.

1) Do people understand how AM Boxing works?

There is a very different scoring system in play for Amateur boxing matches, it is not a 10 point must system, it's a points system, it's different, hence you have to BOX different. Going out there, throwing combinations and body shots is not going to win you a fight, due to the way it's scored, if it get's you a KO, your luck is in, if it doesn't all your hard work could be for nothing if your opponent is SMART ENOUGH to be landing cleaner, more obvious and EASY TO SCORE single shots.

The whole "well he fights like a pro" argument is a moot point, it's like saying someone isn't a good basketballer because they play like a soccer player.

These guys are training to win medals at an amateur tournament, if they come out fighting like a pro it doesn't make them "better", it makes them stupid, why are they even wasting their time?

2) There have been SOME dodgy decisions

even with the above being said, there has been some bad decisions, but not all of them, not by a long shot, it's the same thing every time there is an amateur tournament, there is always disputed decisions, but most of it is down to the scoring system WHICH THE CONTESTANTS AND COACHES UNDERSTAND.

Its because of the system some people are calling robbery. Do what you're supposed to, land clean...no point given?....Yeah.

Anyway, many people unfamiliar with boxing really dont know the difference between the two or much less whats considered a "scororing" blow.

Comment

I dont get why, especially in am boxing that the judges dont watch the match on say a tv..or an elevated position. Sitting ringside seems like its set up to fail really, look at how inacurrate compubox can be.

Comment

YEAH WE ALL KNOW THAT BUT THERES STILL NO WAY U CAN JUSTIFY SOME OF THESE WINS

unless the poit of the match is to not land and get hit alot ?

Comment

Originally posted by revs1227 View Post
          YEAH WE ALL KNOW THAT BUT THERES STILL NO WAY U CAN JUSTIFY SOME OF THESE WINS

unless the poit of the match is to not land and get hit alot ?
          i did say there have been some obviously bad ones, but the fact remains, landing a blazing 8 punch combo is less effective than landing 3 solid, easy to score, single shots.

This is why "fighting like a pro" is actually a BAD idea in the sport of ameteur boxing, hence why it isn't called pro boxing. Fighting like that is ineffective and has been for decades, this is why at every single tournament EVER, people are always crying "robbery" over 50% of the fights, it's because they simply do not understand the scoring system.

and if they are being taught and coached like that, well that's the fault of the trainers, coaches and the boxers themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Earl Hickey View Post
            i did say there have been some obviously bad ones, but the fact remains, landing a blazing 8 punch combo is less effective than landing 3 solid, easy to score, single shots.

This is why "fighting like a pro" is actually a BAD idea in the sport of ameteur boxing, hence why it isn't called pro boxing. Fighting like that is ineffective and has been for decades, this is why at every single tournament EVER, people are always crying "robbery" over 50% of the fights, it's because they simply do not understand the scoring system.

and if they are being taught and coached like that, well that's the fault of the trainers, coaches and the boxers themselves.
            This. People claim spence got robbed but he should have fought like an amateur and tried to land more accurate head shots than putting in body work. Its just like writing a nobel prize-worthy economics thesis in a maths exam, it just doesn't translate.

Comment

Roy Jones ruined amateur boxing

Fact!

Comment

im an amateur boxer myself, id say i know the system fairly well. alot of the so called robberies i disagree with but there have been some terrible decisions too.

although to be fair so far its still MUCH better than four years ago, there were more bad decisions than good ones ffs. they might as well not even have judges and just flip a coin at the end of the fights.

Comment

yes, they do...only rigondeaux fans dont!

Comment

Working...
                  X