No announcement yet.

Freedom of Speech

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freedom of Speech

Voltaire wrote in a letter to M Le Riche "I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write."

This phrase has often been paraphrased to "I disapprove of what you say but I defend to the death your right to say it".

The freedom to speak, to exchange ideas is the single most important, most fundamental freedom we have. Through this freedom, all others flow and without it no others can exist. After all, how can you resist your freedom to own property that is not subject to arbitrary seizure if you cannot even denounce an attempt to seize it?

Attempting to silence ideas or concepts we find to be personally abhorrent is nothing new. There is a rich and terrible history of the misuse of laws and violence in order to prevent certain ideas from being heard and certain other ideas from being criticised, and this continues today with attempts to censor criticism of religious and political movements using both the courts and threats of violence.

Wars have been fought to preserve the freedoms we enjoy, lives lost, governments toppled. We reap the rewards of the freedom to exchange ideas and to criticise those we find worthy of criticism, in the form of prosperity, technological advancement and relative peace.

I will disagree with you, I will tell you why, I may even destroy your position using logic and evidential reasoning but I will NEVER demand that you be silenced.

I will conclude with another quote from Voltaire:

"Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so too."

Originally posted by squealpiggy View Post
    Voltaire wrote in a letter to M Le Riche "I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write."

This phrase has often been paraphrased to "I disapprove of what you say but I defend to the death your right to say it".

The freedom to speak, to exchange ideas is the single most important, most fundamental freedom we have. Through this freedom, all others flow and without it no others can exist. After all, how can you resist your freedom to own property that is not subject to arbitrary seizure if you cannot even denounce an attempt to seize it?

Attempting to silence ideas or concepts we find to be personally abhorrent is nothing new. There is a rich and terrible history of the misuse of laws and violence in order to prevent certain ideas from being heard and certain other ideas from being criticised, and this continues today with attempts to censor criticism of religious and political movements using both the courts and threats of violence.

Wars have been fought to preserve the freedoms we enjoy, lives lost, governments toppled. We reap the rewards of the freedom to exchange ideas and to criticise those we find worthy of criticism, in the form of prosperity, technological advancement and relative peace.

I will disagree with you, I will tell you why, I may even destroy your position using logic and evidential reasoning but I will NEVER demand that you be silenced.

Comment

Originally posted by MANIAC310 View Post
      Voltaire was French yer plonka!

And freedom of speech exists everywhere. It's just the consequences of expressing certain views differ from place to place.

In one place you might be stoned.

In another you might be called a 'plonka' by some ****.

Comment

Originally posted by squealpiggy View Post

So long as you're not libelious,hate mongering,With this freedom comes responsibilities as well........

Comment

If you want an argument against free speech, look no further than NSB.

Comment

Originally posted by Southpaw Stinger View Post

And freedom of speech exists everywhere. It's just the consequences of expressing certain views differ from place to place.

Voltaire will always be a Frenchy ye cunt
            J/K

Comment

Originally posted by Amazinger View Post
              So long as you're not libelious,hate mongering,With this freedom comes responsibilities as well........
              Of course.

Imagine a world where people just spout any old cack out of their mouths? Be like NSB, only face to face.

Comment

Originally posted by Amazinger View Post
                Voltaire will always be a Frenchy ye cunt
                J/K
                While he was alive he was French. He's dead now, so he's cured.

Comment

Originally posted by S.G. View Post
                  If you want an argument against free speech, look no further than NSB.
                  lolz

Great minds.....

Comment

Originally posted by Southpaw Stinger View Post

I like this post

Comment

Working...
                    X