Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boxing people: When did the WBO become a real TOP title?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boxing people: When did the WBO become a real TOP title?

Was it when "Prince" Naseem Hamed held the belt?

Originally posted by emurgencee View Post
    I still don't consider it top. Its WBC and WBA for me. IBF is legitimate but when I started watching boxing there was no IBF.

Comment

Originally posted by emurgencee View Post
      When HBO started pretending it was real..

Comment

I'm not sure, sometime around the early 2000s I guess. Nowadays lots of big time fighters hold the WBO title. Pacquiao, Wlad, Bradley, Marquez, Salido, Viloria, and Pirog all hold the WBO title, and they are considered the best or among the best in their division.

Comment

WBO is one of the better major titles imo. Much better than WBA.

Comment

The WBO before has become a stepping stone for their champions to challenge for the WBC belt. Vitali Klitschko and Dela Hoya are prime examples.

Comment

Nowadys the wbc and wba turned into jokes with their 3-4 champions per weightclass.

Comment

Eubank and Barrera were two really good fighters in the late 90's early 2000's who carried the WBO title and were considered among the best in their division. That's when it really got going...

Comment

The WBO President (I forget his name) continually represented himself and his organization well at conferences and conventions, working steadfastly at making the title credible. He was able to get European promoters to align with him and then got some big American name fighters as well, which helped turn the perception around 2001-2002 ish.

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
                    The WBO President (I forget his name) continually represented himself and his organization well at conferences and conventions, working steadfastly at making the title credible. He was able to get European promoters to align with him and then got some big American name fighters as well, which helped turn the perception around 2001-2002 ish.
                    A la Calslappy who held one for 10 years plus!

Comment

Working...
                    X