The parallels between Victor Ortiz and Amir Khan are striking

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The parallels between Victor Ortiz and Amir Khan are striking

Both 25 years old. American and British. Born to immigrants

Both highly thought of from a young age and were moved quickly to the big stage as professionals. Both have good resumes for their age (i said for their age before you shoot me down)

- Khan stopped in 2008. Chin a question mark since that fight (although it was even before then). 2 years later and one weight class higher, proves his chin isn't so bad by surviving round 10 to beat Maidana. FOTY for 2010

- Ortiz stopped in 2009. Heart a question mark since then. 2 years later and one weight class higher, and proves he has heart, getting up from a heavy knockdown to beat Berto. FOTY for 2011

Both take losses in late 2011, followed by a long period of inactivity.

Both have rematches scheduled in 2012, and both their opponents test positive after themselves asking for random drug testing.

Both have last-minute replacement opponents who they are heavily favoured to beat, with potential big money fights with Mayweather and Alvarez depending on them winning

Both lose in similar ways to their first major loss. Khan on jelly legs after taking a big shot, gets up and bravely attempts to fight back, but gets stopped. Ortiz in a slugfest, and decides not to continue after taking a lot of shots (I'm not going to say he quit after hearing about the seriousness of his injuries)

And now both are being written off and getting a lot of hate. Ortiz has already split with his trainer and i think Khan needs to do the same (he probably is doing behind the scenes). Both need someone who will work on their defensive flaws - they're both very good offensively already, and great athletes. They also need to go easy with random comments that make you go WTF?

Mark my words, BOTH will be back. Not saying they'll ever be elite fighters, but they can be damn good

WAR KHAN! WAR ORTIZ!

Last edited by ts33; 07-16-2012, 12:06 PM.

Good read bro.

Comment

khan is a lot better than ortiz.

Comment

Originally posted by ts33 View Post
        Both 25 years old. American and British. Born to immigrants

Both highly thought of from a young age and were moved quickly to the big stage as professionals. Both have good resumes for their age (i said for their age before you shoot me down)

- Khan stopped in 2008. Chin a question mark since that fight (although it was even before then). 2 years later and one weight class higher, proves his chin isn't so bad by surviving round 10 to beat Maidana. FOTY for 2010

- Ortiz stopped in 2009. Heart a question mark since then. 2 years later and one weight class higher, and proves he has heart, getting up from a heavy knockdown to beat Berto. FOTY for 2011

Both take losses in late 2011, followed by a long period of inactivity.

Both have rematches scheduled in 2012, and both their opponents test positive after themselves asking for random drug testing.

Both have last-minute replacement opponents who they are heavily favoured to beat, with potential big money fights with Mayweather and Alvarez depending on them winning

Both lose in similar ways to their first major loss. Khan on jelly legs after taking a big shot, gets up and bravely attempts to fight back, but gets stopped. Ortiz in a slugfest, and decides not to continue after taking a lot of shots (I'm not going to say he quit after hearing about the seriousness of his injuries)

And now both are being written off and getting a lot of hate. Ortiz has already split with his trainer and i think Khan needs to do the same (he probably is doing behind the scenes). Both need someone who will work on their defensive flaws - they're both very good offensively already, and great athletes. They also need to go easy with random comments that make you go WTF?

Mark my words, BOTH will be back. Not saying they'll ever be elite fighters, but they can be damn good

WAR KHAN! WAR ORTIZ!

I'm still holding out hope Ortiz can be an elite fighter, but it's waning.

Comment

Both are media creations that have a job living up to their hype. Both are good fighters but were promoted as the next great fighters before they had proved themselves and earned the right to be called great. Angel Garcia was right when he described Khan as a manufactured champion. Boxing needs to get away from this promotion garbage and get back to the last man standing mentality.The only young fighter out there that can cary the superstar tag is Andre Ward and he is ovwrlooked.

Comment

Ortiz has never been knocked the f out like Khan. Ortiz actually has stopped his own self both of his stoppages. Ortiz can only knock himself out, he's like a prime Roy Jones, unknockoutable. He feels so bad for his opponents, he stops the fight and takes the loss. He knocked Maidana down 3 times, he rearranged Lopez's face.

Khan, however, doesn't have the luxury to stop himself or "quit", because his opponents knock him out so fast, the poor guy has no chance to quit.

All jokes aside, If they ever fight, Ortiz would definitely knock him out. Khan just doesn't have the punch resistance to survive Ortiz's power. Say what you want about Ortiz, but he does have tremendous power and good accuracy. His power is definitely a game-changer. You could knock him down early in the round, then he comes back to knock you down twice.

Comment

Originally posted by ts33 View Post

WAR KHAN! WAR ORTIZ!

A good comparison. They are similar in alot of ways I guess. However, I kind of think that Khan has more heart and Victor the better chin of the 2.

Would love to see em' fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary_Sparrow View Post
                khan is a lot better than ortiz.

Ortiz has his downfalls but I'd heavily favour him to knock Khan out tbh
                He would landing something meaningful in that fight & Khan sure as hell wouldn't react well to it I know that much.

Comment

Originally posted by Isaac Hunt View Post
                  Both are media creations that have a job living up to their hype. Both are good fighters but were promoted as the next great fighters before they had proved themselves and earned the right to be called great. Angel Garcia was right when he described Khan as a manufactured champion. Boxing needs to get away from this promotion garbage and get back to the last man standing mentality.The only young fighter out there that can cary the superstar tag is Andre Ward and he is ovwrlooked.
                  To be a superstar you need to have more than just elite skills. You either have to be exciting like Pac/De la Hoya or talk a lot and be controversial like Floyd. He doesn't have superstar appeal, and i say that as a fan of Ward.

Comment

khan has too much heart but no chin. ortiz no heart but a good chin (his chin is made of iron now)

Comment

Working...
                    X