No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Juan Carlos Burgos and The Aftermath of a Bad Decision

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Juan Carlos Burgos and The Aftermath of a Bad Decision

By Thomas Gerbasi - As soon as the final bell rang on January 19th, Juan Carlos Burgos knew the score. In his second attempt at a world title, he had done his job and beat Rocky Martinez. He was the WBO super featherweight champion of the world. All he needed to do was hear Michael Buffer read the judges’ scores and have the belt handed to him.

“When the final bell went off, I knew I had won the fight,” said Burgos through translator Alex Camponovo. “I had a good feeling about what I had done in the fight, and when they announced the first judge’s card and there was a wide margin of points on my side, I felt pretty comfortable.”

That first score, a 117-111 tally for Burgos handed in by Waleska Roldan, was pretty much in line with what most observers thought was fair. Some thought 116-112 Burgos, maybe even 115-113 for the Tijuana native if they were being generous to Puerto Rico’s Martinez.

Then came in the next score: 116-112 from Tony Paolillo for Martinez. As the groans among the hardcore fans began, some still held out hope in those moments between the reading of the second and third scores that sanity would prevail.

Score three: 114-114.

A draw.

“When they announced the other two, it was pretty devastating,” recalled Burgos. “I felt like a bunch of bricks were on my back. It was just a heavy, heavy thing to go through and it didn’t feel right. I knew I had done enough to win the fight.”

Burgos pauses briefly, something that even a language barrier can’t hide. Not even two weeks removed from what should have been the biggest and happiest night of his boxing career, the wounds are still raw, but he’s trying not to let them show. [Click Here To Read More]

I feel sorry for Burgos he got robbed badly.

Comment

rocky martinez is a bum....i expect him to hide in PR with his fake championship belt

Comment

Originally posted by commodus View Post
        rocky martinez is a bum....i expect him to hide in PR with his fake championship belt
        To me Rocky fights like a girl. I mean no disrespect to the PR champs, but to me rocky fights like a woman. I'm surprised he hasn't broken his wrists.

Comment

A real bummer... Can't help but feel terrible for the guy... Hope he gets his rematch

Comment

terrible decisioin & the poor fighter suffers...the commission won't do a thing to the official that scored 4 Martinez...1 good point was why are 3 inexperinced officials assigned @ the same time....parallels the bout w/the awful decision a month or so ago in Florida...it all comes down to commissions assigning there favorites...

Comment

Stop hating troll when the hell have you ever seen rocky hide from any1 he fights anybody in front of him even went to burns backyard when he was the champ now go type ure nonsense somewhere else idiot

Comment

Fights like a girl lmaooo don't confuse the way you fight with rocky who never backs down and fights till the end go back to watching wrestling kid

Comment

Originally posted by PRBOXINGCOTTO View Post
                  Fights like a girl lmaooo don't confuse the way you fight with rocky who never backs down and fights till the end go back to watching wrestling kid
                  You got to admit it tho Burgos was Robbed and Martinez does not deserve to be Champion!

Comment

Originally posted by el_mas_chingon View Post
                    You got to admit it tho Burgos was Robbed and Martinez does not deserve to be Champion!
                    No one is denying that....

Comment

Working...
                    X