No announcement yet.

Watching fights without sound.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watching fights without sound.

I found that if you watch fights without sound, you score it i differently.

Holmes vs Norton and i scored it a draw maybe for norton sometimes, maybe for holmes sometimes.

Without sound i scored it for norton.

Anything similar happen when you watch a fight w.o sound?

If I'm watching a fight for entertainment purposes (not often) only I watch it with commentary on for added drama.

If I'm watching a fight for the purpose of scoring / learning or anything else I watch it without.

You can 'see' a fight much better without commentary as you're focusing 100% on the visual without trying to listen in on the commentary which whether you want to or not you will providing sound is on.

Comment

I never watched with the volume off but there has been plenty of times when the commentary didn't match what I was watching.

Comment

Good topic. I've often wished I could watch the fight without hearing the commentators, but keep the crowd noise. Karaoke style I suppose. Without the crowd it just seems so distant and detached. One tape of an old classic that I have (Mando Ramos-Sugar Ramos) has only the crowd with no announcers. I absolutely loved it.

As for scoring fights, to get the most objectivity you need to kill the sound the first time you see it. Otherwise you've already heard the announcers anyway, so the mute scoring isn't quite as authentic.

Comment

I always turn the sound off when I watch fights on HBO but I dont like watching a fight with noise and end up turning it back on. One thing I have started to do is find versions of a fight in a different language. Its great haha but some you cant find. I love watching a fight on Spanish broadcasting and there's a live one often. Effects the way you score a fight.

Comment

Generally do watch fights without sound the commentators get on my nerves and sometimes call a different fight to what I'm seeing. Thanks for the thread I thought I was the only one!

Comment

I don't know about scoring differently because I tune out the announcers most of the time anyways. But I get a ton of foreign broadcasts and I often disagree with the scoring even when I can't understand the commentators.

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
                I don't know about scoring differently because I tune out the announcers most of the time anyways. But I get a ton of foreign broadcasts and I often disagree with the scoring even when I can't understand the commentators.
                This is the same for me.

I watch it with or without depending how I feel.

One day I may scor a fight with sound another day I might not.

In terms of entertainment I much prefer with sound as opposed to without.

Comment

I can't do it without sound. It just bothers me. Commentators have never bothered me or influenced me, I tune them out rather easily.

Comment

No sound means not being able to hear punch impact.

No idea how a fight can be scored without that. Especially in the pros where the power of the punch matters. Otherwise, there would be deaf boxing judges to go along with the blind ones we already have in the sport.

To score a fight, you needs to engage your eyes AND ears.

Comment

Working...
                    X