No announcement yet.

When you aren't a natural...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When you aren't a natural...

Hey everybody, I'm sure you guys get bombarded with new boxer questions all the time, so feel free to ignore.

I'm 24 with absolutely no athletic background in my past, and I've started boxing recreationally. I'm still a few months away from being able to afford one on one coaching, so I'm taking group classes twice a week. I feel so awkward, like I'm both sloppy and way too tense in my shots, not to mention uncoordinated.

I'm not looking to be the world's best boxer, I just want to comfortable out there.

Until I can afford one on one, what are some things that worked for those of you who weren't "naturals" either? I've committed myself to waking up earlier and throwing 100 punch combinations every morning (20 of one type in a row, then a one minute break) in slower motion to make sure my technique is both correct and more relaxed. Any other ideas?

Originally posted by Travelfan View Post
    Hey everybody, I'm sure you guys get bombarded with new boxer questions all the time, so feel free to ignore.

I'm 24 with absolutely no athletic background in my past, and I've started boxing recreationally. I'm still a few months away from being able to afford one on one coaching, so I'm taking group classes twice a week. I feel so awkward, like I'm both sloppy and way too tense in my shots, not to mention uncoordinated.

I'm not looking to be the world's best boxer, I just want to comfortable out there.

Until I can afford one on one, what are some things that worked for those of you who weren't "naturals" either? I've committed myself to waking up earlier and throwing 100 punch combinations every morning (20 of one type in a row, then a one minute break) in slower motion to make sure my technique is both correct and more relaxed. Any other ideas?
    You're willing to put in extra work like that, so your issue is more mental than physical. You'll be fine if you continue that work ethic.

Technique is even more important who aren't athletic. They aren't as naturally coordinated and balanced, so there's a smaller cushion for them to throw wild punches. You're on the right path.
    Last edited by GrandpaBernard; 03-06-2012, 10:38 AM.

Comment

If your not coordinated, awkward and unathletic the best advice I can give you is to hammer the fitness and conditioning side of things. Get yourself into the best shape of your life.

Not every budding boxer will aspire to be as graceful as Ali, Walcott, Robinson, Holmes, Mayweather or Leonard. There have been plenty of world champions with poor coordination/balance/athleticism. But they have succeeded with sheer heart and conditioning.

Try watching Collins vs Eubank 2 to see how an uncoordinated but superbly conditioned man can beat the superior athlete and technician.

Comment

Proper technique and feeling comfortable comes in time.

What you can work on now, as mentioned above, is your conditioning.

This involves your roadwork, doing light hand weights, skipping etc.

Having no athletic background, your body will slowly transform itself to be more efficient in boxing and it's movements.

So really you can look at yourself as a blank canvas

Comment

Originally posted by Young Money View Post
          Having no athletic background, your body will slowly transform itself to be more efficient in boxing and it's movements.

So really you can look at yourself as a blank canvas
          Hah, I like the way you think!

Thanks everybody, my main problems right now are tensing up my arm muscles instead of being relaxed with my shots, my double jabs are awkward as all hell, and getting back to a good technical stance after shuffling forward/back. I'll keep practicing my technique and throwing 100 combos a day, and also double up on my cardio/endurance training.

Comment

keep practicing,take your time.dedication goes along way.see what you have to build now is muscle memory..practice on 1 thing at a time and build your way up.remember always move your head

Comment

Hah, I like the way you think!

Thanks everybody, my main problems right now are tensing up my arm muscles instead of being relaxed with my shots, my double jabs are awkward as all hell, and getting back to a good technical stance after shuffling forward/back. I'll keep practicing my technique and throwing 100 combos a day, and also double up on my cardio/endurance training.
              It will just come with time, I've been boxing 5 days a week for about 5 months now, and I'm still tensing up my shoulders a lot of the time.

Comment

Working...
              X