No announcement yet.

Orlando Salido

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orlando Salido

The upcoming fight between Salido and Garcia is really getting people hyped. I came across this little interview with Orlando, by Michael Woods of ESPN.com, and thought I'd share it:

Orlando Salido is 32, has been a pro for 17 years, and started boxing when he was 10. But no, he doesn't think the mileage has broken him down.

"I feel better now," he told ESPN New York at a news conference held Thursday at MSG, ahead of his Saturday clash against Mikey Garcia.

Point blank, I asked him why Salido would beat the 25 year-old Garcia. "Experience," said the 126-pound champ. "I'm a champion and I want to keep that a long time."

So, will an edge in volume be another key to victory? "Yes, overwhelming him is key," Salido said. "I'm not going to let him think. All of his opponents have let him do that. I'm not going to let him do that."

Garcia is a solid technician, Salido allowed, but doesn't move that well or that much, and won't like the pressure. He is the best that Garcia has faced, and that makes Salido confident, he stated.

I think "Siri" made some good points about Mikey in this little sit-down. I'm expecting his words to become evident tomorrow night.

I think he knows what he needs to do. He was throwing some mean left hooks to the body his last fight too and if he can get to Garcia and land it, it could be a good night for him.

Comment

very interesting to see how mikey deals with salido's pressure .. he cant afford to be conservative or else he'd get outworked...anyways , he prolly wont have a choice anyways given he's not as good a mover as gamboa...not sure but i think salido outworks mikey by ud

Comment

Originally posted by jsfd26 View Post
        I think he knows what he needs to do. He was throwing some mean left hooks to the body his last fight too and if he can get to Garcia and land it, it could be a good night for him.
        I've actually been looking forward to this fight for a long time. I like both Salido and Garcia. With Mikey, I'm more interested to see how he turns out. With Orlando, I'd like to see a real blue-collar guy enjoy his hard-earned rise to the top.

Comment

Originally posted by puga View Post
          very interesting to see how mikey deals with salido's pressure .. he cant afford to be conservative or else he'd get outworked...anyways , he prolly wont have a choice anyways given he's not as good a mover as gamboa...not sure but i think salido outworks mikey by ud
          I don't think Mikey has it in him to keep up with Salido's volume. I think Orlando is going to "out-will" his less hardened opponent. But Garcia has skills, power and poise. I'm betting Salido, but I'm not "100%," if you know what I mean.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
            I don't think Mikey has it in him to keep up with Salido's volume. I think Orlando is going to "out-will" his less hardened opponent. But Garcia has skills, power and poise. I'm betting Salido, but I'm not "100%," if you know what I mean.
            i agree..it's not his style to outbrawl his oppnenent but i think there will be plenty of moments where he will get cornered and wont have a choice but to engage.. im intruiged how he'd handle that situation..will he fold or will he surprise us and try to beat salido in his own game?..hmmmn
            Last edited by puga; 01-18-2013, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by puga View Post
                i agree..it's not he's style to outbrawl his oppnenent but i think there will be plenty of moments where he will get cornered and wont have a choice but to engage.. im intruiged how he'd handle that situation..will he fold or will he surprise us and try to beat salido in his own game?..hmmmn
                I'm betting that Salido is gonna drag Mikey into the dirt. I don't think Garcia will be able to avoid it. The question is whether Mikey can handle that situation. I'm also betting he can't. But Garcia's got power. That could be his saving grace. If Mikey lands a few hard shots, Orlando could be done. Then again, Salido has taken shots from some hard punchers. Gamboa and Lopez can lay a hurtin'. "Siri's" got stones and a chin. The more I think about it, the better I feel about my bet.

Comment

Originally posted by ElBossHogg™ View Post
                  Only we've seen Salido use his plans effectively. This applies more to Garcia than it does Salido. We'll see if Garcia can do the things we're accustomed to seeing him do against a tough, ring-smart veteran like Salido. If Garcia delivers, I think we have a real good up-and-comer on our hands to say the least.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
                    I'm betting that Salido is gonna drag Mikey into the dirt. I don't think Garcia will be able to avoid it. The question is whether Mikey can handle that situation. I'm also betting he can't. But Garcia's got power. That could be his saving grace. If Mikey lands a few hard shots, Orlando could be done. Then again, Salido has taken shots from some hard punchers. Gamboa and Lopez can lay a hurtin'. "Siri's" got stones and a chin. The more I think about it, the better I feel about my bet.
                    Yeah basically you and I are on the same page. I don't see how Salido doesn't drag Mikey into a war and I just don't have any reason to think Garcia can handle such a thing (yet). Salido's a tough MF and I can see him really giving the kid more than he can handle at this point. Orlando's a lot smarter fighter than people realize, too.

Comment

Working...
                    X