Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bernard Hopkins "Stop asking me about Chavez Jr. He aint nothing but a gimmick.."

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bernard Hopkins "Stop asking me about Chavez Jr. He aint nothing but a gimmick.."

47-year-old former middleweight and light heavyweight champion Bernard Hopkins has never been one to mince words, hide his true feelings, or miss a chance to grab some attention when he can. Tonight he took to Twitter and made brief comments about both Julio Cesar Chavez Jr and Sergio Martinez.

On Chavez Jr:

Stop asking me about chavez jr. He aint nothing but a gimmick.. he dont take this serious..

On Wednesday, it was reported that Chavez Jr had failed his Nevada drug test, which came back positive for marijuana following last Saturday's loss to Martinez at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas.

It's no exaggeration to say that over his boxing career, Hopkins (52-6-2, 32 KO) has indeed taken things very seriously, staying in immaculate physical condition over the years, which has allowed him to stay a top contender and champion well past a normal expiration date for a fighter's relevant career. It's also what has allowed him to be successful at all at 175 pounds, where he's a fairly small fighter, having spent the vast bulk of his career at 160. He's been able to hang with bigger men and often dominate quality fighters well into his 40s.

But he didn't stop with Chavez Jr, and seemed to be possibly angling for a fight with Martinez:

Martinez style is very easy to beat.. trust me Tito, Palvik, Tarver he just like them.

Martinez (50-2-2, 28 KO) isn't going to fight Hopkins unless Bernard made a crazy attempt to come back all the way to 160, which isn't going to happen. Martinez has even balked at moving up to 168 pounds, so even a super middleweight -- effectively a catchweight for them -- clash wouldn't work, and would still be a crazy move by Bernard (though he's pulled crazier off in the past).

Of course, Martinez isn't really much like Trinidad, Pavlik, or Tarver in terms of style, but Bernard can say just about whatever he wants, taken with grains of salt.

Hopkins hasn't fought since April, when he dropped a clear 12-round decision to Chad Dawson in Atlantic City on HBO. He has one fight left on his HBO deal, and has said many times he does not intend to retire, and will fight on. He has reportedly recently been offered a fight with Nathan Cleverly, which their side says Hopkins turned down.

http://www.badlefthook.com/2012/9/20...bo-boxing-news

Call me crazy, but I think prime for prime at 160, Martinez would have beaten Hopkins in a close one. B-Hop would have a hard time with Sergio's athleticism and movement.

Comment

Originally posted by _original_ View Post
      Call me crazy, but I think prime for prime at 160, Martinez would have beaten Hopkins in a close one. B-Hop would have a hard time with Sergio's athleticism and movement.
      I like Sergio but i dont think a man who keeps his hands down by his waist can beat Hopkins....But Sergio did show a good inside game against Chavez

Comment

panda's calling u crazy

bhop wouldve beaten martinez but as often said by me: nobody has an easy fight when in the ring with martinez

the only middleweight around when bhop was still fighting at that weight that couldve beaten him back then was winky wright...however their fight was a year or two overdue at a weight winky wasnt comfortable at. dude was eating crispy creme donuts every other day while in camp....they even showed it in the countdown special

Comment

Originally posted by Larry.X. View Post
          I like Sergio but i dont think a man who keeps his hands down by his waist can beat Hopkins....But Sergio did show a good inside game against Chavez
          Are you forgetting Joe Calzaghe (kept his hands low as well)? A fast southpaw with quick hands and very athletic.

Comment

Originally posted by -PANDA- View Post
            panda's calling u crazy

bhop wouldve beaten martinez but as often said by me: nobody has an easy fight when in the ring with martinez

the only middleweight around when bhop was still fighting at that weight that couldve beaten him back then was winky wright...however their fight was a year or two overdue at a weight winky wasnt comfortable at. dude was eating crispy creme donuts every other day while in camp....they even showed it in the countdown special
            History has shown that Hopkins has vulnerabilities against athletic guys, it's no coincidence those are the type of guys that have have beaten him or gave him his hardest fights. Sure he looks great against bangers and guys that come forward, but Sergio is not that type of fighter, no matter what Hopkins says. And again, I said a "close fight" so I can see there not being a clear winner, but Sergio getting the nod due to activity.

lol Winky loved him some Krispy Kreme donuts, who doesn't those things are crack!

Comment

Hopkins sounds jealous

Comment

Sergio would have beaten B-hop, any version.

Bernard's legacy is up there with the best of them, but athletic fighters with speed and movement give him problems. Always have. Not to mention Sergio throws from odd angles and has power to go with it.

No lop-sided win or anything, but one of those clear-but-competitive wins for Martinez IMO.

Comment

Are you forgetting Joe Calzaghe (kept his hands low as well)? A fast southpaw with quick hands and very athletic.
                  You say prime for prime and then mention a fight where BHop is not in his prime. He would beat Martinez up.

Comment

hopkins has always had trouble with unorthodox athletic fighters.

Comment

Working...
                    X