Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aaron Pryor v.s 90's/Modern Day Lightweights?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aaron Pryor v.s 90's/Modern Day Lightweights?

Aaron Pryor started his career at lightweight, he quickly dominated the division, and then jumped to Super Lightweight(Jr Welterweight).

Even tho there isn't any footage of Pryor in his Lightweight days, There are enough footage of him in the Jr Welterweight division that Pryor was probably the best Jr Lightweight OAT...

Which Lightweight from the 90's or from today's division could give a prime Pryor trouble?

None most likely he was a marvel.

Comment

a prime casamayor who could possibly catch the ever-advancing fireball pryor with one of his brilliant counters at lightweight. Sugar Shane could hang at lightweight as could Floyd at lightweight or junior welter. These would be three great, competitive fights but I would not proclaim to know the outcome of. I also don't know how this would pan out over 15 rounds as I've never seen the modern guys go that long. The advantage in that category would have to go to pryor, especially if he had his trusty specially mixed water bottle with him, lol.

Comment

Given the different weigh in rules. Today's 135 fighters wouldnt be able to make 135, back then. So you can pick today's 35ers against 140 Pryor.

Campbell and Casa are way too old for Aaron work.

Pac would make a great fight as he wouldnt take a step back, but eventually succumb to the larger man. Today top lightweights are blown up fighters from lighter weights. Juan Diaz could make it interesting in very limited places and otherwise get his ass handed to him.

From the recent past Castillo would keep Pryor with his hands full for different reasons, and with Mosley and Mayweathar.... those would be great fights

Comment

Originally posted by wmute View Post
          Given the different weigh in rules. Today's 135 fighters wouldnt be able to make 135, back then. So you can pick today's 35ers against 140 Pryor.

Campbell and Casa are way too old for Aaron work.

Pac would make a great fight as he wouldnt take a step back, but eventually succumb to the larger man. Today top lightweights are blown up fighters from lighter weights. Juan Diaz could make it interesting in very limited places and otherwise get his ass handed to him.

From the recent past Castillo would keep Pryor with his hands full for different reasons, and with Mosley and Mayweathar.... those would be great fights
          Very sound points you make..

Comment

Originally posted by mspiegelo View Post
            a prime casamayor who could possibly catch the ever-advancing fireball pryor with one of his brilliant counters at lightweight. Sugar Shane could hang at lightweight as could Floyd at lightweight or junior welter. These would be three great, competitive fights but I would not proclaim to know the outcome of. I also don't know how this would pan out over 15 rounds as I've never seen the modern guys go that long. The advantage in that category would have to go to pryor, especially if he had his trusty specially mixed water bottle with him, lol.
            he destroyed arguello in the 2nd fight WITHOUT the black bottle, your point?.

Comment

Pryor was a helluva fighter! He had 'very' KO power and a tungsten chin. He'd just be too savage for today's lightweights walking thru their punches and landing his own hurtful blows.

The way he battered Alexis Arguello who himself was a helluva puncher was brutal. It was a real shame his drug use exacerbated his decline. The Hawk will always be a legend. HOFer!

Comment

i was making a joke. your point?
                Last edited by mspiegelo; 07-03-2008, 01:03 AM.

Comment

Great point about today's fighter weight at fight time. Pryor would have given any fighter in history at junior welterweight all they could have wanted and more, in my opinion. He was just relentless. What an animal! One of my favorite fighters ever.

Versus Mosley or Mayweather Jr., those would have been some great matches to see. Fifteen rounds with THe Hawk, non-stop. Wow, great fantasy fights.

Comment

Originally posted by Keleneki View Post
                    Great point about today's fighter weight at fight time. Pryor would have given any fighter in history at junior welterweight all they could have wanted and more, in my opinion. He was just relentless. What an animal! One of my favorite fighters ever.

Versus Mosley or Mayweather Jr., those would have been some great matches to see. Fifteen rounds with THe Hawk, non-stop. Wow, great fantasy fights.
                    i was watching last night pryor-arguello II and pryor's stamina was amazing.
                    the commentators were like "where does pryor get that stamina from?!"

he got tired in some, but in later rounds he came up and was all over arguello.

Comment

Working...
                    X