No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Photos: Chisora Batters Gerber, Saunders Edges Ryder

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Photos: Chisora Batters Gerber, Saunders Edges Ryder

Copper Box, London - Dereck Chisora (18-4, 12 KOs) stopped Edmund Gerber (23-2, 14 KOs) in the fifth round to win the vacant EBU heavyweight title. After landing damaging punches on Gerber in the first two rounds, and hurting the German boxer in third, Gerber came back in the fourth with a good right hand to rock Chisora. The British fighter came firing back in the fifth, as he pinned Gerber against the ropes and unloaded with damaging shots until the referee jumped in.

British and Commonwealth middleweight champion Billy Joe Saunders (19-0, 10 KOs) kept his undefeated streak with a twelve round unanimous decision over previously unbeaten John Ryder (15-1, 9 KOs). The action was very close with both fighters having their moments. The scores were 115-114, 115-113, 115-113. [Click Here To Read More]

It looked like a really weak stoppage at the time, but the fact that Gerber didn't protest indicates that not only did he not have much left but was also badly hurt.

This new fitter delboy seems to have a lot more behind his punches. Gerber had no answer to the body shots, also consider how he seemed to hurt Malik Scott almost every time he landed.

Contrast that to the Chisora that drilled Sexton with 40 unanswered shots before finally putting him away.

BJS I thought was a tad fortunate to win. That decision could have gone to Ryder.

Comment

Gerber was a statue!

Whilst Chisora looked in good shape last night, you have to say that Gerber was AWFUL........no movement whatsoever....just stood there allowing Chisora to tee off and get leverage on his punches.
      Not Chisora's fault as he can only beat what's in front of him, but what a horrible advert for boxing that this level of boxer was allow to contend to be European Champion.
      Last edited by Polaxed; 09-22-2013, 12:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Polaxed View Post
        Whilst Chisora looked in good shape last night, you have to say that Gerber was AWFUL........no movement whatsoever....just stood there allowing Chisora to tee off and get leverage on his punches.
        Not Chisora's fault as he can only beat what's in front of him, but what a horrible advert for boxing that this level of boxer was allow to contend to be European Champion.
        Lol that is the heavyweight division for you. Gerber wasn't much but I was very impressed with Chisora, best I've seen him look. I think it has finally clicked for Chisora.

Comment

Working...
        X