Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: London Calling: Flawed KO should be catalyst for change

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: London Calling: Flawed KO should be catalyst for change

By Lyle Fitzsimmons - I couldn’t have been the only one, right?

Seriously, as everyone else either tuned in live or caught an online stream of the Saturday fight card from Wembley Arena – and then saw how the heavyweight portion of the feature bill ended – I wasn’t alone in thinking, “C’mon, there’s got to be a way to overturn that.”

Had we been tuned into anything else on North American shores, officials would have simply gone under the replay hood (NFL), taken a look at courtside monitors (NBA), ducked into the umpire’s room (MLB) or made a call to central command in Toronto (NHL) to make sure justice was done.

It’s the right thing to do, a no-brainer in every sense of the phrase.

And, having gotten used to the minor inconveniences involved with the major sports trying to get it right, I was perfectly fine with standing around waiting for it here, too.

I was sure they’d take a quick break, rewind the Box Nation broadcast reels and notice very quickly that as soon as referee Phil Edwards indicated he’d reached the count of nine, Malik Scott got up. And having noticed this, the error Edwards had made in waving matters to a close would have been overruled – and a competitive fight, if not a thrilling one, would have evolved to its natural conclusion.

But then I remembered… “This is boxing – where reason goes to die.” [Click Here To Read More]

Originally posted by BIGPOPPAPUMP
    By Lyle Fitzsimmons - I couldn’t have been the only one, right?

Seriously, as everyone else either tuned in live or caught an online stream of the Saturday fight card from Wembley Arena – and then saw how the heavyweight portion of the feature bill ended – I wasn’t alone in thinking, “C’mon, there’s got to be a way to overturn that.”

Had we been tuned into anything else on North American shores, officials would have simply gone under the replay hood (NFL), taken a look at courtside monitors (NBA), ducked into the umpire’s room (MLB) or made a call to central command in Toronto (NHL) to make sure justice was done.

It’s the right thing to do, a no-brainer in every sense of the phrase.

And, having gotten used to the minor inconveniences involved with the major sports trying to get it right, I was perfectly fine with standing around waiting for it here, too.

I was sure they’d take a quick break, rewind the Box Nation broadcast reels and notice very quickly that as soon as referee Phil Edwards indicated he’d reached the count of nine, Malik Scott got up. And having noticed this, the error Edwards had made in waving matters to a close would have been overruled – and a competitive fight, if not a thrilling one, would have evolved to its natural conclusion.

But then I remembered… “This is boxing – where reason goes to die.” [ Click Here To Read More]
    Sometimes it's best to get up before 9 doe. Didn't see the fight yet so that's all I can say. Just have a rematch lol

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

What about Martinez cintron he got waved off then with enough crying somehow got to fight again.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

The only reasons a fighter stays down until 9 is if they are hurt bad or ******ed, either way Scott deserved to lose and would have been stopped if the fight continued.

Comment

Scott was fighting abroad. When you fight abroad, you have to assume they are going to stop it first chance they get. I'm not saying officials in Britain are corrupt, I'm just saying that the foreigner is always going to have a harder time no matter where you are. Hadn't Scott seen Manfredo-Calzaghe?

Anyway, whatever. Scott stayed down too long and the fight got waved off. Of course he looked fit to continue, but I have no problem with the stoppage.

Comment

Scott was probably hurt but if a fighter is one their knee you got to count out the full 10.

Bad reffing but Scott should have stood up right after 8 ust to be safe.

Comment

Woulda, Shoulda, Coulda! Bottom line, he was up at nine, and looking clear headed. It was the refs error.
              Last edited by megadeth; 07-23-2013, 02:57 AM.

Comment

Exactly right. 10 means 10.

Comment

I doubt the BBBC will change their ruling, the referee was well in his rights to stop the fight.

I honestly don't understand how anyone can pick a bone with what happened on Saturday night. Sure, wasn't exactly a conclusive result but Scott's flippancy cost him the fight. If you're squeezing as much as you can out of a 10-count, you're going to give the impression that you need every mili-second to recover.

Sometimes we do have dodgy stoppages over here but with the McClellan/Watson events, we've been too cautious, which is obviously better than too lax. Fights will be stopped if a fighter is visibly shaken or outclassed, unfortunately the majority of the fights a good prospect will face in his early career fit the criteria of the latter.

Comment

Originally posted by Own3d View Post
                    The only reasons a fighter stays down until 9 is if they are hurt bad or ******ed, either way Scott deserved to lose and would have been stopped if the fight continued.
                    Or maybe he was just taking a knee and waiting to get up at 9, which he did.

Deserve to lose??? Why cause he got up before the 10 count?

Would've been stopped??? We'll never know now, that's why Chisora had a disgusted look on him, the ref took his triumph away, it's funny how a lot a ya missed that.

Comment

Working...
                    X