Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What threshold of fitness should you have before you step in the ring?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What threshold of fitness should you have before you step in the ring?

I've been doing the normal training routine at my boxing gym for about 2 months now and I was pretty athletic going in, at least more than the average person. I can talk to my coach about sparring anytime but I want to know what level of fitness I should have before I even try. Thoughts?

A good way to test yourself is to see if you can jump rope for 3, 3 minute rounds with only a one minute rest in between.

If you can handle a continuous 3 minute jump roping session, and then a constant 3 minute session on the heavybag, you should be physically fit enough to spar at least a round or two. but the only way to get true "fight stamina" is from sparring.

Comment

but just talk to your coach - he should have the best idea as to whether you are ready.

Comment

no sweat man, I can definitely give the rope a good 9 minutes, and I hit the bag for 30 minute sessions so yeah, I will talk to him. Thanks for the advice

Comment

I should have done that before I 1st sparred. I remember almost collapsing from my 1st sparring session. It is totally different when you hit the pads or bags for 30 minutes than sparring for even 3 minutes.

Comment

I'm a bit spoiled here 'cause my grand father has owned a gym my whole life. What I did was made sure I could hit the hw bag for an hour at a rate of 120 bpm. you'll be fine just fine in a 3x3 with breaks if you can do an hour at 120 bpm with no breaks. Especially just sparring.

Comment

I don't mean to be negative but 2 months of boxing is like nothing.

If you think you have good fitness, just get in there. Keep your guard up, wear good head gear, and wear 16 oz gloves. There is no point in putting it off. The only real way to learn boxing is thru sparring.

I would advice only going 2 rounds on your first outing.

Comment

you can bust on bags and jump rope until you fall exhausted on your face and it won't really help all that much. Ofcourse you should be in good shape before stepping in to throw but thats only part of it. When you first get in there you will tire yourself out with nervous energy and just being tight.

The only way to really learn how to fight is to get in there and do it again and again until you learn to relax abit in there. I'll bet that I could take a tri athelete who would be in awsome shape and have him worn out in 2 rounds of fighting. Not because he's not in shape but simply for the fact that he cant relax in the ring and wastes his energy on nervous tension.

The only way to really get into fighting shape is to get in there and fight/spar. All of the bag work and work on the pads and the floor will help prepare you but you won't go rounds until you learn to relax and conserve energy.......Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by JoeyNumbers View Post
                  I don't mean to be negative but 2 months of boxing is like nothing.

If you think you have good fitness, just get in there. Keep your guard up, wear good head gear, and wear 16 oz gloves. There is no point in putting it off. The only real way to learn boxing is thru sparring.

I would advice only going 2 rounds on your first outing.
                  I had my first fight 2 months after starting, won by RSC-1. 2 months is not a long time but if you put in the work as you're supposed to 2 months is ample time to have a bout. My first sparring session that was on my first night at the gym was 3 rounds. Do atleast 3 rounds always, push yourself and make it happen. I mean who ever heard of a 2 round fight........Rockin'

Comment

Get the Bas Rutten Audio workout, if you can finish 30minutes of it, then you good to go.

Its not even about fitness to spar, its all about the trainer/coach of the gym trusting you, you can be fat and spar because a fat person who trains will have the cardio to go the few rounds.

If you take a fit guy who only runs to stay inshape and put him in the ring he will throw up after the 1st round.

Its all diffirent, but usually trainers dont start letting you spar instantly unless you are coming from a diffirent school or have trained there for a few months.

unless its one of those hollywood gyms where they dont care and they start letting you spar without proper footwork/technique and put you in amateur fights with only a month or two of training, which is how you ruin people.

Gotta build a solid foundation in the gym first
                    Last edited by Medved; 07-09-2011, 07:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X