No announcement yet.

ESPN-Odlanier Solis has sustained serious knee injuries

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESPN-Odlanier Solis has sustained serious knee injuries

BERLIN -- Odlanier Solis has sustained serious knee injuries in his first-round knockout defeat by WBC heavyweight champion Vitali Klitschko on Saturday.

The 30-year-old Cuban was taken to hospital, where a scan revealed tears to his anterior cruciate ligament and external meniscus, as well as cartilage damage in his right knee.

The crowd in Cologne was disappointed by the 179-second bout. The fans booed and whistled for several minutes after it ended.

Klitschko said he's "sorry for the spectators. I don't fight for me, I fight for them."

The 39-year-old Ukrainian had delivered a right to Solis' left temple, when the Cuban wobbled back and fell on his back before clutching his knee.

It was Solis' first defeat in 18 pro fights. Klitschko improved to 42-2.

Man steroid boosted punches from Vitali must be killer

Comment

Vitali is a beast, what can you say.

Comment

At first i thought it was a stunning KO, Then i saw the replay and the punch was landed with mininum power so i thought Solis was chinny. But if he has done this injury then maybe it would spur him on to take this sport seriously and cut himself down to the lower 210s.

Comment

That takes him out for at least a year, I'd imagine. Shame.

What worries me most is that he'll be unable to do physical work for a while and when he finally does make it back he'll be back over 270lbs again.

Comment

There should be a limit on how much body fat professional boxers can have before they step into the ring.

Comment

it was clearly a knee injury.

watch his leg give out BEFORE vitali hit him with that right.

Comment

Not sure why anyone doubted this and thinks what happened instead was a result of a devastating KO/quit job.

It's a shame cos I actually thought he looked very decent last night, maybe the best HW outside of the Klits.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger Blood View Post
                  Not sure why anyone doubted this and thinks what happened instead was a result of a devastating KO/quit job.

It's a shame cos I actually thought he looked very decent last night, maybe the best HW outside of the Klits.
                  vitali is a great fighter.

but to think that that glancing blow scrambled solis' brain and caused him to act the way he did is just over-the-top fanboyism.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray* View Post
                    At first i thought it was a stunning KO, Then i saw the replay and the punch was landed with mininum power so i thought Solis was chinny. But if he has done this injury then maybe it would spur him on to take this sport seriously and cut himself down to the lower 210s.
                    I doubt it. He wont change now, if he was truely dedicated to being the best at the pro level he never would've put on the weight in the first place.

Comment

Working...
                    X