Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did George Chavalo reach his potential?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did George Chavalo reach his potential?

He Had two fights with Ali for the title and one with Ernie Terrell which he claims he was robbed of a pts win. He beat some good contenders and was ranked for quite awhile. Any comments on his ability and carreer?

I would say so, yes.

Great chin, not a great puncher, rather unskilled.

I think he may have got off lucky with Liston dying before they could fight. Liston and Joe Louis are the two I'd pick to finally crack that chin of his. Like Foreman and Frazier were probably going to do if their respective fights had continued.

Depends how faded Liston was, I guess. I don't think he was shot.

Comment

As Chavalo once said of himself...he was a guy who came up in boxing without the benefit of any of the great trainers or management. If I remember correctly it was his mother who approached the local butcher to manage him...although he had no background in the sport or boxer management. He said he felt that he would have done much better had he received the type training and support some of the people he faced in the ring and I agree. I can't remember which one of the Ali fights he said this of...I think it was the 1st..."After the fight I went for dinner with my wife...Ali went to the hospital". He was a strong tough guy who had much more potential.

Comment

Very tuff man who had limited abilities but had the willingness to compete. He was hampered by lack of reach and had no foot or hand speed. Being a tuff guy is very important when your involved in contact sports but you need more than that for boxing. I didn't enjoy watching him box when he stepped up in quality opponents. George and Jerry Quarry are to be respected for the minds set but I believe they need to be matched accordingly. If the matchmakers used them appropriately they'd be fan favorites for live shows and not be on the end of bad beatings with short money. Not everyone needs to be a Champion to be considered great in boxing!!
        Early in my career as a cornerman for hire I handled alot of so-called "opponents" and most of these men could have been used on local shows as 4 to 8 round components and have done pretty good when matched correctly. Unfortunetly most needed the money more often and thats how the journeymen opponents are borned!! Some learn the ropes quickly because they actually have boxing skills and others had a tuff life not knowing how to go with the flow!! George did pretty good and was proud of his bouts with Ali. Ray.
        Last edited by Ray Corso; 10-15-2012, 05:13 PM.

Comment

You may not have to be a champion to be considered great, but tough guys like this always want to be the best and that means fighting for the title. Chuvalo was tough and wanted to fight everyone and I respect that. He probably could've made more money with better management though but guys like him aren't usually in it for the money, but for the chance to be the best and hold the title.

Comment

He most definitely did. Although he may have benefited from better training and management early on, but you could say that for a lot of fighters.

Comment

Working...
            X