Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone here been laid off before? Damn, this sucks......

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone here been laid off before? Damn, this sucks......

Has anyone been laid off before? Man, I got laid off from my job on Friday. Been there 5 years, and busted my ass for them. They told me on Friday, that they had to downsize, and I was one of the workers let go.

Ive known that there was a possibility of the company downsizing, but thought there was no way that I would be let go. My manager and I had real problems, and hated each other, but the owner/boss and I were really cool.

I will receive 5 weeks of severance, and they told me after that 5 weeks, if I want, I can go and claim unemployment, and they wont fight it.

Ive been saving up a little cash to start my own pool company, but just havent done it because I never wanted it to interfere with my job. But with 5 more weeks of severance pay, and the safety net of an unemployment check, I feel like this is the time to go out and do it. In addition the checks, since they downsized, they had to let go of a 10-12 customers, and they are going to give me all of their info so that I can have them come to me for service.

Wish me luck my BScene homies, this is gonna be a hard couple of months until I get my feet back on steady ground, but in the name of Jesus, I will be back in the swing of things quick.

Wish you luck in finding another job...keep your head up bruh!

Comment

Originally posted by jose830 View Post
      Wish you luck in finding another job...keep your head up bruh!
      Thanks bro..... I think Im just gonna end up starting my own pool business. My mom owns our little family business, and she has been pushing me for so long to stop working for a company, and start my own.

I think Im gonna take her advice, and just start my own ****.

Comment

Good luck bruh..

I'm not sure how much it will help, but see my thread about starting a business. I hope that will help you.

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingGenius27 View Post
          Good luck bruh..

I'm not sure how much it will help, but see my thread about starting a business. I hope that will help you.
          I'll definitely check it out..... Im down for any extra info that I can get.

Comment

Whatever happened to security of tenure and why only 5 weeks severance?

Anyways, good luck, man. Hope that pool company you're planning will click.

Comment

if you have a job center or something near you go down there.

you need to start looking for another job right away

Comment

I hope everything goes well for you, HTown. Good luck with the pool business if it is what you choose to pursue, but make sure you have a good plan before you get started with anything of your own. A job lost is only a stream of steady income lost, but a business lost can potentially have you losing all of your initial investment as well.

I would seriously recommend looking for another job (5 years experience doesn't count for nothing) and being more serious with the pool business as well.

Comment

Originally posted by kadyo View Post
                  Whatever happened to security of tenure and why only 5 weeks severance?

Anyways, good luck, man. Hope that pool company you're planning will click.
                  The whole "security of tenure" thing got blown out the window. They said that I have had a lot of complaints about the work Ive been doing. When I asked to show me proof, she just told me that her mind was made up, and that it is what it is. They showed me no proof. Now the manager that I have been having problems with for years, was riding me hard, making complaints up, and I had a feeling that she was trying to make me quit. When I went in there, she had two pages of complaints from the route manager, and that was the only ammo she had.

As far as the 5 weeks of severance, I dont know why it was only 5 weeks. The company was just a little mom and pop pool company with 15-18 people working there, so there was no "Official" severance package. They down sized by a few people, and I was one of them. She told me that she wasnt even legally obligated to give me that, but since I have been there so long, busted my ass for them, and because she really personally liked me, that she was gonna give me that.

Comment

Originally posted by sukhenkoy View Post
                    I hope everything goes well for you, HTown. Good luck with the pool business if it is what you choose to pursue, but make sure you have a good plan before you get started with anything of your own. A job lost is only a stream of steady income lost, but a business lost can potentially have you losing all of your initial investment as well.

I would seriously recommend looking for another job (5 years experience doesn't count for nothing) and being more serious with the pool business as well.
                    Well it is not much to start my own company. It will be about 7,000 dollars to start everything. That is buying a decent used, but reliable truck. Buying all new pool servicing equipment, getting business cards made, 2 months worth of pool chemicals, and paying gas for a couple of months.

I already have 10-15 pools to start off with from the jump. Plus I was doing pool service and repairs for big time athletes, and multi millionaires.

So if it doesnt go the way that I want, in 6 moths I can stop the business, and go get a job at an oil company over here in Houston. I really dont want to work for anyone anymore, so Im taking my chance now.

Plus I wont be in too bad of a spot financially, because my wifes paychecks pay the mortgage, car note, and all of the bills. All of my checks were just disposable income, so if anything I will just have to cut down on spending for the next few months.

Comment

Working...
                    X