No announcement yet.

Roy Jones's master tactics against James Toney

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roy Jones's master tactics against James Toney

I just re-watched the fight again and was literally in awe of how Roy Jones could render JT useless by using predominantly 2 punches - a left hook and a straight right.

He would go to his right, Toney's left and shoot a lunging left hook at which point Toney could not counter with a left hook of his own or a right. Jones would keep moving to Toney's left and shoot a straight right. Again Toney couldn't counter this shot because of Roy was outside his lead shoulder. Then Roy would throw an occasional looping right to Jame's exposed side again by just going to his right. Then he starting faking the right, leading with his left hook and he started faking with his left and then leading with his straight right. It was just amazing how he dominated Toney with mainly two punches, which were rarely thrown in combinations.

I think obviously Roy Jones's speed and reflexes were his main strengths but if he would've stayed in front of Toney just throwing these punches. Toney would've been in great position to counter. Meanwhile Toney was clueless at how to counter Roy simply because Roy was moving around Toney's lead shoulder. Now if Toney's stance was more square he would've been able to counter better but Toney's stance is pretty much almost sideways especially when reacting to punches and that's where Roy was able to easlily outmaneuver him.

If anybody ever laid a blue print in how to beat a style like Toney's, Mayweather's and Broner's it's not Cotto, Malignaggi, DLH or Castillo it's Roy Jones who did not miss a beat in 36 minutes and on top of that did it without a jab or body punches, but kept fighting outside of Toney's lead shoulder for almost the entire fight.

Originally posted by pesticid View Post
    I just re-watched the fight again and was literally in awe of how Roy Jones could render JT useless by using predominantly 2 punches - a left hook and a straight right.

He would go to his right, Toney's left and shoot a lunging left hook at which point Toney could not counter with a left hook of his own or a right. Jones would keep moving to Toney's left and shoot a straight right. Again Toney couldn't counter this shot because of Roy was outside his lead shoulder. Then Roy would throw an occasional looping right to Jame's exposed side again by just going to his right. Then he starting faking the right, leading with his left hook and he started faking with his left and then leading with his straight right. It was just amazing how he dominated Toney with mainly two punches, which were rarely thrown in combinations.

I think obviously Roy Jones's speed and reflexes were his main strengths but if he would've stayed in front of Toney just throwing these punches. Toney would've been in great position to counter. Meanwhile Toney was clueless at how to counter Roy simply because Roy was moving around Toney's lead shoulder. Now if Toney's stance was more square he would've been able to counter better but Toney's stance is pretty much almost sideways especially when reacting to punches and that's where Roy was able to easlily outmaneuver him.

If anybody ever laid a blue print in how to beat a style like Toney's, Mayweather's and Broner's it's not Cotto, Malignaggi, DLH or Castillo it's Roy Jones who did not miss a beat in 36 minutes and on top of that did it without a jab or body punches, but kept fighting outside of Toney's lead shoulder for almost the entire fight.
    1. James Toney was in terrible condition for this fight.

2. Where are you gonna find a Roy Jones type athlete?

3. Peolpe who have the nerve to discredit Floyds resume and big up Jones are out of there minds. He has the most carefully guided career ever. Im not gonna lie it was Roy Jones Jr (and Miguel Cotto) who got me into boxing. But when I learned what technique was i knew he wasn't all that. His best wins are a green Hopkins and as before mentioned an out of shape Toney.

Comment

Great performance from Roy

Comment

faultless performance

Comment

Originally posted by ImStillHere View Post

3. Peolpe who have the nerve to discredit Floyds resume and big up Jones are out of there minds. He has the most carefully guided career ever. Im not gonna lie it was Roy Jones Jr (and Miguel Cotto) who got me into boxing. But when I learned what technique was i knew he wasn't all that. His best wins are a green Hopkins and as before mentioned an out of shape Toney.
          I somewhat agree with your first post. He was in the same condition against Prince Charles Williams 3 or 4 months ago and he performed well. His bad condition is overstated and at the end of the day, that's James.

I agree with your second point.

I am not bigging up Jones nor discrediting Floyd - I think you're reading too much into it.

Comment

Originally posted by ImStillHere View Post

Excuses... RJJ was just as green as BHop. Even though BHop amateur career was mostly in prison, it still counts and more than likely that environment molded BHop to what he is today. Matter of fact BHop always credit his prison stint. Now if your going to claim Toney was out of shape, which all up to until the fight Toney claimed he was supreme condition. Toney wasn't out of shape until week's after RJJ whooped his butt. FYI RJJ had basically one hand vs BHop, it has been well documented. So since your giving Toney excuses than you have to accept RJJ's vs BHop which he still won. As for discrediting Floyd's resume I agree. Also RJJ was in an era that didn't have much fighters to challenge him. Like Wlad but trying to discredit what they accomplished because of the lack of talent in their era is crazy. RJJ was the P4P king for almost a decade.
            Last edited by Nahshon Israel; 09-14-2013, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pele..Rjj..23 View Post
              faultless performance
              What's crazy about it is that everybody including myself are so high on Toney and rightfully so and Jones plays with his as him as if he were a sparring partner.

His strategy was so smart. He proved to be the better fighter, but he also proved to be the much smarter fighter and I think that won him the fight easily.

Comment

Originally posted by Rakim Tha God View Post
                Excuses... RJJ was just as green as BHop. Even though BHop amateur career was mostly in prison, it still counts and more than likely that environment molded BHop to what he is today. Matter of fact BHop always credit his prison stint. Now if your going to claim Toney was out of shape, which all up to until the fight Toney claimed he was supreme condition. Toney wasn't out of shape until week's after RJJ whooped his butt. FYI RJJ hand basically one hand vs BHop, it has been well documented. So since your giving Toney excuses than you have to accept RJJ's vs BHop which he still won. As for discrediting Floyd's resume I agree. Also RJJ was in an era that didn't have much fighters to challenge him. Like Wlad but trying to discredit what they accomplished because of the lack of talent in their era is crazy. RJJ was the P4P king for almost a decade.
                I agree and while Floyd's resume is good to great. We can't say he had a dominating win over an All time great like Toney, can we? Beating easily two of the all time greats in their prime. Say what you say about Roy and his lack of competition. He made Bhop and JT look terrible. Both BHop and JT have beaten athletic fighters but Roy was just too smart for both of them.

Comment

I am not bigging up Jones nor discrediting Floyd - I think you're reading too much into it.
                  It's clear that when you posted you were just making a point about a strategy for that specific style. If anybody went deeper, that's their fault, ha.

Comment

Toney and Floyd dont really have a similar style or mind set at all. Just because people shoulder roll doesnt mean they are similar. Hell, morales shoulder rolls every now and then and nobody would say he is like either of them.

Comment

Working...
                    X