No announcement yet.

Getting bigger chest

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting bigger chest

Hey guys, I have a real small chest, I could only bench 27kg 8 times 3 sets, I really want to get my benching record to at least 100lbs, what kind of workout should I do to make my chest bigger?

do some push-ups.

http://hundredpushups.com/

Comment

i suggest making sure you cover the entire chest. some gross exercises to use the whole chest, and then some more specific exercises to work different parts of your chest.

that means you want to make sure you are hitting the top of the chest (lifting with your chest at the shoulder away from the ground when you are standing or sitting. your muscle will flex at the top of the chest around the collarbone)

the bottom of the chest (usually done with a cable, because weight doesn't work in reverse, but you want to be pulling with the chest at the shoulder down toward the ground from standing or sitting. your muscle will flex at the bottom of the chest, around your nipples)

and then the middle of chest (usually called a "fly" type exercise. you are squeezing your chest and arms at the shoulders together for this one. clap your hands together and push and you'll feel where this works)

check out online for pictures, as i don't have the time to explain in greater detail right now

or better yet, get somebody who knows what he's doing to show you at the gym

it takes forever to explain how to do these things
      but only a second or two for you to learn by watching

and as another poster stated, you can start by doing pushups

do as many as you can a few times a day and eventually you'll find yourself being able to to many more than when you started.

in my experience with pushups you don't want to exceed a few hundred a day or so unless that's the only exercise you will be getting
      the shoulder is a delicate joint that requires a lot of rest, and pushups can put it under some strain

Comment

I'm sure you can move past the 27Kg mark very soon.

The trick is not to make the numbers of reps that important; what is more important is good technique, slow movement (up and down), full range of motion (near as dammit outstretched arms at the height of the rep and near as dammit touching your chest when you return to start position).

Also I tend to find that a wide grip (a little wider than shoulder width) yields the best results in pectoral development rather than a narrower (shoulder with grip).

You need to find the weight that you can lift with impeccable technique for 8 reps and work on that. Try 9 reps when it seems do-able, when you can hit 10 reps, up the weight 2.5Kgs either side and aim for 8 reps again.

Dont work your chest 2 days running.

And eat a protein packed meal as soon after training as possible.

I would advise pressups, but it is so easy to not do 'good' reps with full range of motion, plus strength progress is hard to measure.

I see loads of youngsters competing with their mates on the bench press, with awful technique, jerking the weights with reps that are too fast, trying to do one more rep than the last guy. Never fall into that trap, train by yourself with excellent technique; that is the key!

You will see improvements with this.......

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
          i suggest making sure you cover the entire chest. some gross exercises to use the whole chest, and then some more specific exercises to work different parts of your chest.

that means you want to make sure you are hitting the top of the chest (lifting with your chest at the shoulder away from the ground when you are standing or sitting. your muscle will flex at the top of the chest around the collarbone)

the bottom of the chest (usually done with a cable, because weight doesn't work in reverse, but you want to be pulling with the chest at the shoulder down toward the ground from standing or sitting. your muscle will flex at the bottom of the chest, around your nipples)

and then the middle of chest (usually called a "fly" type exercise. you are squeezing your chest and arms at the shoulders together for this one. clap your hands together and push and you'll feel where this works)

check out online for pictures, as i don't have the time to explain in greater detail right now

or better yet, get somebody who knows what he's doing to show you at the gym

it takes forever to explain how to do these things
          but only a second or two for you to learn by watching

and as another poster stated, you can start by doing pushups

do as many as you can a few times a day and eventually you'll find yourself being able to to many more than when you started.

in my experience with pushups you don't want to exceed a few hundred a day or so unless that's the only exercise you will be getting
          the shoulder is a delicate joint that requires a lot of rest, and pushups can put it under some strain
          yup pretty much what he said...incline presses with bars or dumbells...i prefer dumbells as it adds to the balancing muscles as well..Declines, fly's, dips and after a while can add some weight to ur waste..aaaand protein...it was said as well dont over do it dont work out chest everyday twice a week is fine with at least 3 days inbetween...and yeah...look up some of these keywords on youtube or somethan for the technique

Comment

Well do want a bigger chest or a bigger bench? Thread Title and the post sound like you want both.

The simplest method to getting bigger and stronger is progressive overload. If you can bench 60lbs today (I think that's 27Kg) and two months from now, you are still benching 60lbs, you aren't doing it right. Every workout or two you should be trying to lift more weight.

Comment

I only started at the gym about two months ago and could only lift around 35kg..

I can now bench 75kg, but do my reps with 55kg. It all take time mate..

Comment

Some good advice already mate but here is a little tip i picked up for getting the most out of a bench session - After uve finished a set of bench do a set of lightish rear delt dumbell flys immediately after, its something to do with shifting lactic acid, i cant quite remember but it seems to work

Comment

Working...
                X