Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fish oil(Omega 3 fatty acids) capsules, do you take them?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fish oil(Omega 3 fatty acids) capsules, do you take them?

Does anyone here take these fish oil capsules for it's healthy benefits?

I don't really eat fish at all, about the only seafood I've eaten in the last years of my life is some crab.

I've also thought about it because recently I injured my left shoulder(rotator cuff/tendonitis/some pains) and thought it would help keep that area healthy while it still finishes recovering.

One of very few supplements I take & has many positive effects.

Can actually help burn fat! Good for maintaining a healthy heart, good for brain function, your joints etc etc

Comment

Yeah I take it every few days. I also take other multi-vitamins, zinc, calcium tablets as well so usually have it in the rotation with another tablet.

Comment

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
        One of very few supplements I take & has many positive effects.

Can actually help burn fat! Good for maintaining a healthy heart, good for brain function, your joints etc etc
        http://www.gnc.com/family/index.jsp?...onomy|Fish+Oil

Took a look here at GNC, I'm thinking of spending around $10-15 on just the regular 1000 Fish Oil.

Or is it worth it/necessary to purchase the triple strength?

Comment

I started taking them 2 months ago

I take 2 pills daily

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtli. View Post
            I started taking them 2 months ago

I take 2 pills daily
            Have you had any noticeable results if you took them for specific reason?

I'm hoping it will help edge over my shoulder injury as it's okay now, but could still be better. I've been doing light exercises to strengthen the shoulder/joint area.

Comment

Originally posted by SlySlickSmooth View Post
              Have you had any noticeable results if you took them for specific reason?

I'm hoping it will help edge over my shoulder injury as it's okay now, but could still be better. I've been doing light exercises to strengthen the shoulder/joint area.
              I feel more energized, and as dan_cov stated its helps your brain function much better. I started taking them because I read that it may reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease.

Ive also noticed my skin being much more clearer then usual. If you plan on getting them make sure they have atleast 600 mg's of DHA.

Comment

Yeah, I take fish oil, been taking them off an on a few years now.

Comment

Originally posted by SlySlickSmooth View Post
                  http://www.gnc.com/family/index.jsp?...onomy|Fish+Oil

Took a look here at GNC, I'm thinking of spending around $10-15 on just the regular 1000 Fish Oil.

Or is it worth it/necessary to purchase the triple strength?

Doesn't say how much DHA & EPA are in the lower priced one despite it saying 1000 & claiming 300mg (probably 18% & 12%)
                  From my understanding most are very low in DHA & EPA and you actually need like 10-15 a day for any benefits what so ever.

If you can get Solgar cheap, that is a good brand. Makes my joints feel fresh and really seems to help keep my skin clear.
                  NOW is always one of the better value for money brands to go for.

A guy I train with explained before I can't really what it was exactly but its basically a con; avoid triple strength & don't buy into the whole 1000mg per capsule dose, its actually the DHA & EPA you need to be high.
                  I believe in most of the lower dosed ones they're actually higher is poison (yes poison) & vitamin E, which actually counteracts with the fish oil and prevents it from absorbing.

Maybe best to have a quick read up on a bodybuilding forum or similar as my memory is like a sieve.

Comment

Try Krill oil, more expensive than fish oil pill but heavily, heavily concentrated. My mom took them for a month and a half and when she went back to the doctor's office they were blown away. They asked her what she had been doing and eating and she didn't have a clue why they were so interested and they told her that her cholesterol had levels had dropped by 35% in a little over a month. It's awesome for joint pain and arthritis as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krill_oil

A study conducted by McGill University compared the effects of fish oil and krill oil on cholesterol. Daily doses of 1-3g of krill oil are significantly more effective in the treatment of hyperlipidemia than the same daily dose of fish oil.[7]

Considering the much higher price for krill oil, the potentially small increase in bioavailability may not be worth it. Until data exists comparing fish oil to krill oil on intermediate markers of risk and actual disease endpoints it will be difficult to say one is better than the other.[8]

A double blind study conducted in Canada tested the effects of Neptune Krill Oil (NKO) on chronic inflammation arthritic symptoms. The results showed that a treatment of 300 mg daily of NKO for between 7 and 14 days significantly reduces arthritic symptoms and prevents inflammation.[9]

Comment

Working...
                    X