No announcement yet.

Bendo/Melendez and Cormier/Mir set for UFC on Fox 7

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bendo/Melendez and Cormier/Mir set for UFC on Fox 7

"Two of the biggest names in Strikeforce history will make their move to the UFC on Saturday, April 20, with FOX airing both bouts live from San Jose.

In the main event, UFC lightweight boss "Smooth" Benson Henderson will defend his belt for the third time when he takes on Strikeforce's last 155-pound titlist, Gilbert "El Nino" Melendez, in a clash of champions the entire MMA world has been waiting for.

Plus, Daniel Cormier, the Strikeforce Grand Prix heavyweight tournament winner, will return to action quickly after his win over Dion Staring last Saturday to battle two-time heavyweight champ Frank Mir in a long-anticipated showdown."
    UFC.com

I don't like Melendez vs Henderson. Really bad way to introduce him to the UFC crowd as Ben does everything Gil does, about a step or 2 better. This fight has no real x factor. There are soooo many contender-level guys they could have matched Gil with.

Comment

Looking forward to Cormier-Mir, I'm a fan of both of them. Mir's chin is shot though, one decent arm punch and he'll get shaken. I'd love to be wrong and see him pull off the upset decision or submission, but I have a feeling Cormier is too strong for him.

Bendo and Cormier are probably the favorites here, I see them winning, how about you guys?

Comment

Comment

It's about time the #1 lightweight in the world gets a real challenge in Benson Henderson...

Comment

Originally posted by kaps View Post
            It's about time the #1 lightweight in the world gets a real challenge in Benson Henderson...
            You cheeky kunt

Comment

So who are you guys picking in these 2 fights?

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
                I don't like Melendez vs Henderson. Really bad way to introduce him to the UFC crowd as Ben does everything Gil does, about a step or 2 better. This fight has no real x factor. There are soooo many contender-level guys they could have matched Gil with.
                Have you seen Melendez even fight? Melendez has outstruck Josh Thompson, Masdevil, Tawajiri he smashed. Him & Alvarez are easily top 3 lightweights outside the UFC and belong top 5-10 in the world. Even Ishida, Ayoki and Guida he beat. Ishida and Guida are tough wrestlers and Tawajiri & Aoki are good submissionist I don't think Bendo can finish him.

Don't think Bendo can outstrike him Melendez has better hands. Melendez is a very good grappler with good wrestling. Bendo's made advantage might be length and wrestling, but on the ground Melendez is scrappy like Cerrone and the Diaz brothers definitely no push over. But a better wrestler then all those guys, if he can keep it on the feet he definitely will make it a back and forth war. Definitely a better fight for Bendo then Diaz. Bendo was a stylistic nightmare, but Melendez will definitely be a war.

Comment

And Cormier either bum rush earlys and takes his head off in the first and gets reckless where by some miracle Frank regains conscious quickly like against Big Nog and grabs a limb, or Cormier finishes before the end of the first. Frank's only chance is in the first imo. Cormiers hands are too much tho he gets sloppy. But after the first its all Cormier probably a decision if it doesn't end in the first, with Mir flopping down in guard like Maia and Phil Davis against Silva & Lil Nog.

Comment

Originally posted by Bloody$Nate$ View Post
                    Have you seen Melendez even fight? Melendez has outstruck Josh Thompson, Masdevil, Tawajiri he smashed. Him & Alvarez are easily top 3 lightweights outside the UFC and belong top 5-10 in the world. Even Ishida, Ayoki and Guida he beat. Ishida and Guida are tough wrestlers and Tawajiri & Aoki are good submissionist I don't think Bendo can finish him.

Don't think Bendo can outstrike him Melendez has better hands. Melendez is a very good grappler with good wrestling. Bendo's made advantage might be length and wrestling, but on the ground Melendez is scrappy like Cerrone and the Diaz brothers definitely no push over. But a better wrestler then all those guys, if he can keep it on the feet he definitely will make it a back and forth war. Definitely a better fight for Bendo then Diaz. Bendo was a stylistic nightmare, but Melendez will definitely be a war.
                    Kawajiri has the best wrestling MMA and the best top game with it. He isn't a submission artist, he's called CRUSHER for his sick ground and pound.

As for level of competition I believe Melendez has faced better, more diverse competition and I do believe he is the best LW in the world. Bendo can beat him with leg kicks, but not much else.

Melendez has this fight in almost every area. He's been better for longer, and fought better competition along the way. If Masvidal signs with the UFC I'm expecting him to prove himself too.

Comment

Working...
                    X