Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Memories of Mike Tyson's career and being a fan...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memories of Mike Tyson's career and being a fan...

CHAPTER 1: THE EARLY DAYS

January 1988: I had previously been only a martial arts fan. I loved Bruce Lee, Chuck Norris, and Sho Kosugi. However, I had not known much about boxing. I was hearing about this young champion who everyone was going nuts over. My next-door neighbor was hell-bent on recording every one of his fights on VHS. He had his sister call me to ask if I'd record the Tyson-Holmes fight for him. Just to be spiteful I said I wanted to record it for myself! I ended up watching the fight and as my Dad rooted for old-timer Larry Holmes. Unfortunately, he had ended up on the canvas three times early in the fight. I said to myself, "Wow!!"

February 1988: I had just gotten a Nintendo. My first two games were Super Mario and Mike Tyson's Punch Out! I was completely hooked on the Tyson game as I had mastered the arcade version of Punch Out! and was looking for a new challenge. I found it in beating Mike Tyson and with lots of practice I had finally conquered the game and the Undisputed Heavyweight Champion!!

March 1988: Tyson-Tubbs was on and I watched. Two short rounds and Tubbs was out-cold. After the fight Mike says, "He was outta shape and thats why I got rid of him quickly!" After that I was hooked!! I had asked my next-door neighbor to lend me all the Tyson fights and I watched enthusiastically and we all impatiently waited for the big Tyson-Spinks fight in June!!

June 1988: I had just gotten out of 7th grade and summer vacation was on. I had a party the night of the Spinks fight. Everyone was so excited!! I thought we'd see a great fight with a lot of give-and-take and Mike would win by 7th round KO. My Dad made a comment, "Watch...It'll be over in the 1st round! He was right!!" As much as I was in awe of Mike's performance I was actually depressed that it ended so quickly.

Feb 1989: Many months had passed since the Spinks fight and we were all eagerly awaiting Mike's defense against British challenger Frank Bruno. By this time I was a die-hard Tyson fan to the degree I'd actually get a bit worried of a challenger posed some sort of threat. I'd also decided to wear black shorts on his fight nights to give him better luck. I had much more knowledge about the history of boxing by this time as I'd watched all the tapes Mike had made about it. As a child, I thought Bruno was a Sonny Liston type of fighter with a lot of power. For some reason, I thought a puncher would be the only kind of fighter with a chance against him as I always believed he'd walk through any boxer.

I'd predicted a 1st round KO as I thought Mike wouldn't take any chances and end it early. When Frank hit the canvas within 30 seconds I remember yelling to my friends "I told you guys!" My one friend who predicted a 5th round TKO said, "No way!!" But then something different happened. Frank got up out of anger and disappointment and fought back hard literally throwing everything but the kitchen sink at Mike. I saw Mike stagger which freaked me out! I started wondering if he was the same fighter as before or whether he lost his touch. But thank God he regained composure and took out Frank with awesome combos in the round my friend had predicted.

July 1989: Finally, out of grammar school and enjoying another summer vacation filled with lots of fun and more video games! Tyson-Williams was on for July 21st. I recall seeing number 1 challenger Carl Williams on the Mort Downy jr. show the night before the fight promising to win. I guess it was a lie as The Truth did his very best to impersonate Mike Spinks the year before. But he only missed by two seconds. I said "Mike was back!" Damn, I should keep on wearing black shorts!!

Feb 1990: All of my friends are vastly looking foward to Tyson-Holyfield. One of my friends actually predicted a Holyfield win. I thought he was crazy! But, Mike had to get past his tune-up James Douglas on the 10th. Is that a joke? Is there anyone on the planet who thinks such a great champ like Mike would lose to a guy like this?? I remember feeling crappy that day and going to the mall. I was in a good mood cause Mike was fighting that night. I recall saying to my Mom, "Happy Tyson day!!" The big debate in my mind was if Buster would make it to round 2.

Round 1 starts and ends. Round 2 starts and ends. We're in round 3. I know Mike's gonna end it in this round. Nope, he doesn't. Damn, I'm thinking Mike looks like a zombie! WTF!! He keeps losing round after round. I'm saying to my friend, "Look at his eye...It's closing.." Then I'm saying to myself that in a way it's good cause it's a war but he's still gonna win, of course. He said he would! Then I'm thinking somethings not right. I look down and I'm wearing, "Red freaking trunks! Red trunks!! Oh no!!!" I run and slap on my black trunks. "Down goes Douglas...As sudden as that..."

Anyway, not knowing anything about the long-count at the time... I felt as though it was a hell of a long knockdown. I thought the ref would wave it off as Douglas got up slowly with a facial expression as though he didn't want any more. I breathe a sigh of relief. It was an eight-round TKO for Mike. He better train with more intensity next time!! Then I look up and see Buster pounding on Mike and Tyson go down. It was like seeing a freaking miracle! He actually went down... How was this possible????? Then the ref waves MIKE off as he gets up at the count of nine with his mouthpiece dangling out of his mouth. I ask my friend to pinch me. I go out and look up at the sky and wonder if I'm dreaming...

To be continued...

June 1990- It's June 16th and Mike is coming out to face Henry Tillman in his first fight back after losing his title. Got my black shorts on. Mike looks a bit nervous or like he's in deep thought. I'm sending him psychic messages such as "Don't forget all that you learned from Cus. Don't forget all your successes as I fighter!" Round 1 starts and soon after Tillman lands a solid right on Mike's chin. It barely fazes him. Well, it looks like he means business now. There's no more taking guys lightly. Towards the end of the round the cat and mouse chase would come to an end. Tillman is knocked out courtesy of a monster right to the temple. The fight is over and we know now that Mike is back!!

December 1990- It's December 8th and Mike is scheduled to fight Alex Stewart who is a top contender and had given current champ Evander Holyfield an incredible fight just a bit over a year ago. He had nearly knocked Holy out at one point in their fight before Evander came back and stopped him on cuts. We all knew this could be a tough fight for Mike but then we also knew that if Mike was at the top of his game he didn't stand a chance. Mike had been doing very well in the gym save for a cut suffered in sparring at the hands of Greg Page which caused the fight to be cancelled then rescheduled. For some reason Greg was always a problem for Mike. Many people believe it was his knockdown of him in Tokyo had contributed to him doing so poorly in the Douglas bout.

But here we are in December. We're in another time and place. This is Atlantic City which Mike had had some of his biggest victories. My friends and I watched the replay of the Spinks fight right before the live telecast of Chavez-Ahn was about to begin. Julio made short work of Ahn. Now it was time for the main event. Mike was pacing back and forth in the ring during the pre-fight but not showing much emotion. I was wondering if he was really into it. My doubt didn't last very long as within ten seconds of the opening round Stewart was on the canvas. I then turn back to my back friend and say "That's Iron Mike Tyson!" Stewart gets up, Mike attacts with intensity/ferocity and he's down again. He gets up then goes down for the third time and the fights over. Then I hear something that somewhat bothers me. Instead of saying something positive about Mike's performance, the HBO color commentary crew somewhat denounce it. "Stewart didn't have the right style to test Mike...Etc..etc " Then after the fight we find out that Mike was leaving HBO. Good for him but bad for us as Showtime wasn't available in our area!!

TBC...

If anyone's confused by this thread... This is where fans of Mike Tyson can state where they were or what they were doing when Mike was fighting... Also, what was going through their minds..
    Last edited by Mintcar923; 08-03-2011, 12:06 AM.

Comment

March 1991 - I recall my memories of Tyson-Ruddock 1 now. I found myself having a quite interesting day at school. We had a very interesting science class on March 18, 1991. We had to study all the various different rock-types in existence. All we did was walk around class and examine the rocks, take notes, and try to understand them! Of course, I knew to wear black pants that day as a sort-of good luck charm for Mike as the fight is tonight. My friends, Dimas & Ryan offered to come over the house and watch the fight with me while celebrating with pizza. But, the only thing was I had already made plans with my next-door neighbor Ricardo who I always watch the fights with. I felt quite torn but I knew being he was considerably older than my high-school friends it may cause a conflict. I sadly declined my high-school chums and stuck with my original plans. They would remain angry with me for a little while after.

OK, it's just about fight time! Ricardo is saying, "Wow! Ruddock looks ready!!" I had been shadow boxing previous to that wondering how the fight would play out. I felt as though Razor Ruddock was actually more of a danger to Mike than even Evander Holyfield was. Again, it was my understanding that if anything, Mike may be more vulnerable to a power-puncher than a good boxer who he would have an excellent chance of walking through. If you'd seen the Ruddock-Dokes fight you would know how much of a danger Razor Ruddock could be.

The ring walks begin. Mike is actually wearing a robe and a hat. Ricardo had said he looked like "Snoopy!!" I laughed and wondered WTF!!! I'm ready with my black trunks on as though I'm the one fighting!!!

Round 1 begins and what action. I thought there may be a good chance it would end early as I saw Razor stumble as Mike landed the first devastating punch which was an immense overhand right. But, somehow it didn't. Round 2 is here and Mike is very angry at Ruddock for some reason. He landed a grazing body punch a moment ago that was called a knockdown but didn't appear to be. Why is he so angry? He is punching on the break and even jumping up trying to land a head-butt?!

The fight goes on. Ruddock opens up toward the end of the third as he lands two smashes and a grazing right. This was followed by an immediate left hook counter by Mike that deposited Ruddock flat on his back. I suppose Tyson really learned his lesson by the Douglas fight. Now when he gets hit he's in good enough shape to respond immediately! Damn!! Another couple of rounds of good action that had both men landing good shots but the action seemed to be controlled by Mike. Suddenly there was a loud sound! Crash!! Who landed? It turned out it was an incredible overhand right by Mike but somehow Ruddock still stayed up.

But, there was also this element of danger. It found Mike in round 6 as Ruddock landed one of his famous smashes(hybrid-left hook/left uppurcut) right on the jaw of Mike full force!! This was followed by a volley of punches that had me really concerned. But wait, Mike's not hurt!! He is taunting Razor to hit him again!! And he did with a straight right completely on target!! Mike seemed a little hurt and frustrated when the bell rung.

Now we're in the seventh round. I just knew Mike was gonna end it very soon. Suddenly there was a right to the body followed by a killer left hook. He charges foward and the ref stops it. I breathe a sigh of relief and walk into the other room.

Ricardo then shouts, "Mike, look there's a brawl!" I come back and cannot
      believe whats happening!! I never did think the stoppage was early but in retrospect I guess it was. Now I'm thinking thats what I read Murad Mohammad was concerned about a couple days prior. Oh well, both seemed to want a rematch. When Ferdie asked Mike about how hard Ruddock's punches were for some reason I thought he was gonna say, "Like a feather!" But, we all know he really does punch like a F**KING MULE KICK!!!!
      Last edited by Mintcar923; 08-18-2012, 07:26 AM.

Comment

I was at the tyson ruddick fight the ending started a big riot and we all ran out of the stadium. I happened to be talking to fan on my right about a premature stoppage and to my left was meldrick taylor and he commented that it was the same ref who stopped his fight with chavez

Comment

I'm curious what your thoughts on Tyson-Ruddock II are.....I personally thought it was Tyson's finest performance as he had to gut out a tough win over an opponent who wasn't going anywhere and was trying to take Mike's head off.

Poet

Comment

I would have to watch it on you tube but I would asume mike did not have that elusivness that he had prior to douglas as I saw a guy get hit way more often than before but he took a hecka a shot in the first fight.
            Did you hear razor may be coming back?

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
              I'm curious what your thoughts on Tyson-Ruddock II are.....I personally thought it was Tyson's finest performance as he had to gut out a tough win over an opponent who wasn't going anywhere and was trying to take Mike's head off.

Poet

Agreed, its one of those fights that can be used to demonstrate to those who believe that all an opponent had to do was stand up to Tyson.....and he'd miraculously crumble.

Comment

did you fellows think the first fight was stopped to soon. ?That was kinda the consenses on site.

Comment

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
                  did you fellows think the first fight was stopped to soon. ?That was kinda the consenses on site.

I thought it was stopped too soon. But I don't think it cost Ruddock a victory either. It worked out great for Don King as he had a ready made rematch to sell on PPV.

Comment

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
                    Yea, a touch too soon. But Ruddock was well behind on points and he was hurt, its not inconceivable that Tyson might not have stopped him ten seconds or so later. Ruddock would have lost regardless, for the same reasons he lost the return (too easy to hit, too reliant on his left, workrate too low).

Comment

Working...
                    X