No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Thirty Years Later: Weaver vs. Tate Remembered

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Thirty Years Later: Weaver vs. Tate Remembered

Thirty years ago today, a single left hook from Mike Weaver rewrote history in ways that couldn’t have been fathomed at the time.

It turned Weaver from no-hope challenger to instant champion and separated John Tate not only from his senses but also from potential superfight riches.
    [Click Here To Read More]

I remember watching this fight live on television. I thought Weaver had lost every round until the 15th. Needless to say, I was shocked when he caught Tate with that left hook. His victory was considered a miracle and was demonstrative of what you can accomplish if you never give up. I have used that fight for years as inspiration when I found myself in a difficult situation.

Comment

Originally posted by big_james10 View Post
      I remember watching this fight live on television. I thought Weaver had lost every round until the 15th. Needless to say, I was shocked when he caught Tate with that left hook. His victory was considered a miracle and was demonstrative of what you can accomplish if you never give up. I have used that fight for years as inspiration when I found myself in a difficult situation.
      I watched it on television as well big james, and I couldn't have described the events any better than you just did!!
      Weaver did indeed lose every round in my mind; but what a miraculous ending that shocked me somewhat!!!
      I also watched Ray Leonard knockout Dave boy Green as well as the other fights that day.

Comment

Definitely one of the most dramatic come from behind knockouts in history.

Comment

Good article. I've never heard about this before. I enjoyed the read.

Comment

I remember watching this on on tv too, the same night Holmes took on Leroy Jones. Jones was the last man other than Larry Holmes to beat Weaver, so after Holmes stopped Jones and Weaver stopped Tate, Ring magazine had Holmes on the next cover with the title "Baddest Man on the Planet".

Anyways Tate looked like the real deal for the first 14 rounds, and then boom, if not the most dramatic stoppage in history, at least the most dramatic come from behind win in history!

Comment

Weaver could friggin punch. Anyone see his stoppage win over Carl Williams?

That left hook seemed to come out of nowhere.

Comment

Arkansas don't remember their Real World Champions like John Tate. They to busy praising Their Paper Champion Jermain Taylor. It's real sad.

Comment

Geez, I guess I am getting old because I remember this fight as if it was yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by -Antonio- View Post
                    Good article. I've never heard about this before. I enjoyed the read.
                    Thanks so much...I'm glad you enjoyed reading it as much as I did writing it. The ending was such a shock and it jolted me from a complacent semi-haze. What an incredible turn of events and judging from the reaction it remains just as powerful now as it was then.

Lee

Comment

Working...
                    X