Collapse
No announcement yet.

How highly do you rate Ezzard Charles?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How highly do you rate Ezzard Charles?

In an all-time sense? The GOAT at light-heavyweight by my reckoning (a historically stacked division, also) and one of the ATG heavyweights also. I don't even need to reference his astounding resume, which is quite clearly one of the best in the history of boxing.

The victory over Joe Louis, albeit a past his prime Louis, goes a long way. We're talking a 184lber clearly beating perhaps the greatest heavyweight of all time. Excellent fighter, and a clear top 15 all-time great. But where do you rate him?

#1 at 175 and top 10 p4p

Comment

Originally posted by wmute View Post
      #1 at 175 and top 10 p4p
      I agree with this for the most part. You ever watch/score his fight against Harold Johnson? Had it for Johnson by a point myself despite the late KD that Charles scored.
      Harold's jab was on point that night, very skilled fighter also.

Comment

"One of the best fighters I've ever seen." - Bill Miller (rip)........Rockin'

Comment

Top 10 p4p at the worst. Probably top 5 and you could make an argument for the GOAT.

Comment

Originally posted by BigStereotype View Post
            Top 10 p4p at the worst. Probably top 5 and you could make an argument for the GOAT.
            Yeah, I was actually thinking about making a case for GOATness. Not many people have beaten Charley Burley and Archie Moore, not to mention his stint at HW where he picked up some quality wins.

Comment

The victory over Joe Louis, albeit a past his prime Louis, goes a long way.

Comment

Originally posted by orriray59 View Post
                I agree with this for the most part. You ever watch/score his fight against Harold Johnson? Had it for Johnson by a point myself despite the late KD that Charles scored.
                Harold's jab was on point that night, very skilled fighter also.
                I watched without scoring it, but I think that I thought Johnson was winning with his better timing. Charles was clearly past it imo, but still showing grit and mad skill. Sometimes I actually really like to watch good performances by slightly past it fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by huijun View Post
                  The victory over Joe Louis, albeit a past his prime Louis, goes a long way.
                  Indeed it is.

Comment

Most probably the greatest Light Heavyweight ever, and a very good heavyweight. Probably in my list of top 10 HW.

Comment

Working...
                    X