No announcement yet.

Sugar Ray Robinson, Ezzard Charles, and Jose Napoles

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sugar Ray Robinson, Ezzard Charles, and Jose Napoles

Does anyone else, besides me, see a little similarity between all 3 of their fighting styles? Charles and Napoles gives me flashes of Sugar Ray Robinson whenever I watch them. Perhaps it's the stances and their smooth offense and their way of throwing combinations. For some odd reason I've always enjoyed watching Robinson, Charles, and Napoles fights back to back, just to compare their styles.
    Who else do you think had a style closer to Sugar Ray Robinson?

Originally posted by Flo_Raiden View Post
    Does anyone else, besides me, see a little similarity between all 3 of their fighting styles? Charles and Napoles gives me flashes of Sugar Ray Robinson whenever I watch them. Perhaps it's the stances and their smooth offense and their way of throwing combinations. For some odd reason I've always enjoyed watching Robinson, Charles, and Napoles fights back to back, just to compare their styles.

Prime Shane Mosley wasn't at all unlike Ray Robinson stylewise.

Comment

I agree, Charles Robinson and Napoles are great to watch! I feel the fluidity in their offence is basically it. Smooth combo's and quick movements to slide into defence from offence, beautiful!

Comment

Charles and Napoles are probably in my personal top 10 of fighters I enjoy watching.

IMO

Robinson is the most athletic.

Charles is the most solid.

Napoles is my favorite to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by Flo_Raiden View Post
          I was a big fan of Napoles, but he didn't have the speed (especially foot) or athleticism of Robinson. I'd have to examine footage of prime Charles to compare those two.

Comment

you can tell mosley learned a lot from robinson, obviously. you can see when he throws his rights and right bolos or hooks especially, his jab has similarities too.

muhammad ali is probably the most similar to robinsons style ive seen, hes a pretty obvious one. aside from pulling his head back and all.

Comment

Originally posted by VIPrice View Post
              you can tell mosley learned a lot from robinson, obviously. you can see when he throws his rights and right bolos or hooks especially, his jab has similarities too.

muhammad ali is probably the most similar to robinsons style ive seen, hes a pretty obvious one. aside from pulling his head back and all.
              can you elaborate more on the jab? that one i don't see personally.

Comment

i see the napoles robinson connection but not charles

and yes Ali tried to box like SRR

Comment

If anything Ali took his style from Rodriguez who he used too study from and imitate while they were in the same stable, don't honestly see that much resemblance between Ali and Robinson.

Comment

Originally posted by wmute View Post
                    can you elaborate more on the jab? that one i don't see personally.
                    just going from memory on that one.
                    just watched the first few rounds of mosley margarito, youre right. you can clearly see it in his both his hooks and the other punches i mentioned - the way he throws his whole body into them, the jab not so much. theres only a few times when i see similarities with his jab and i think its probably got more to do with him having a similar stance.

i dont know how you cant see similarities between robinson and ali. its common knowledge SRR was alis hero and idol, whom he structured his style after. he used to go off in camp how his style is beautiful like robinsons. ali is definitely not a carbon copy but when you watch SRR then ali its uncanny.

Comment

Working...
                    X