No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: De La Hoya in Festive Mood Over CBS, Helping Families

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: De La Hoya in Festive Mood Over CBS, Helping Families

It was 18 years ago – almost to the day – when Oscar de la Hoya last appeared on network TV, scoring a 9th round stoppage over John Avila in Dec. ’94 on CBS. The following year saw the launching of the Oscar de la Hoya Foundation.

Both of those worlds came full circle on Thursday for the highest grossing fighter of all time during his annual Golden Boy Toy Drive in Los Angeles.

This year’s event was tied into the promotion of boxing’s first card to air on CBS in 15 years. Leo Santa Cruz puts his unbeaten record and bantamweight belt on the line against Alberto Guevara in the afternoon’s main event at the Sports Arena in Los Angeles (Saturday, 4:30PM ET/1:30PM PT).

[Click Here To Read More]

Good sht from de la hoya others should follow in his foot steps

Comment

This is great for boxing. Golden Boy is really doing it big. The more boxing on TV the better.

Comment

people seem to think boxing had been a main stay on network tv since it began but there have always been massive chunks were it simply wasn't shown.

on another note, if Oscar cared about getting boxing on CBS he'd put a real card on, not an under card to a Khan fight. FFS this card is making Deontay Wilder look desirable by comparison. These promoters don't want boxing back on network TV. The cable companies pay them way too much money. He wants this to fail so he can cross his arms and act say "meh, at least we tried. Not my fault people don't want boxing"

Comment

Don't understand all the hate on BS on GBP and Oscar..the dude has done way more for boxing fans and the community in a decade since Arum or King did in half of a century

Comment

Originally posted by croz View Post
            people seem to think boxing had been a main stay on network tv since it began but there have always been massive chunks were it simply wasn't shown.

on another note, if Oscar cared about getting boxing on CBS he'd put a real card on, not an under card to a Khan fight. FFS this card is making Deontay Wilder look desirable by comparison. These promoters don't want boxing back on network TV. The cable companies pay them way too much money. He wants this to fail so he can cross his arms and act say "meh, at least we tried. Not my fault people don't want boxing"
            Man, I really disagree with that second part. If I could pick any fighter from tomorrow's card in LA to air on CBS, it would most certainly be Santa Cruz. I'm not impressed with the Showtime portion of the card, to be honest, but Santa Cruz versus ANYBODY makes for great TV.

There's truth to the part about cable networks offering too much. But that's what makes Santa Cruz' placement on CBS perfect. Significant fight, yet affordable for the network. Best of both worlds.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeNDaBox View Post
              Man, I really disagree with that second part. If I could pick any fighter from tomorrow's card in LA to air on CBS, it would most certainly be Santa Cruz. I'm not impressed with the Showtime portion of the card, to be honest, but Santa Cruz versus ANYBODY makes for great TV.

There's truth to the part about cable networks offering too much. But that's what makes Santa Cruz' placement on CBS perfect. Significant fight, yet affordable for the network. Best of both worlds.
              I'm sounding like a broken record but I keep saying they should have gone in there with a bigger name in order to make a big splash on network TV. If boxing gets small ratings with anything it'll immediately be compared to the UFC, or worse, end up ruining any future chance to appear on CBS. Make a big splash, get some attention, secure more fights, then bring in the unknowns. Putting an under card on a major network for boxing's "big" return is weak sauce. I wouldn't mind if it was just some throwaway arrangement but it's made worse by the fact Oscar just had to jump in right before Duva's card went up. It starts with a bad impression.

Comment

Working...
              X