David Tua Retires

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David Tua Retires

Heavyweight David Tua Retires

Former World Heavyweight title challenger David Tua, 39, has announced his retirement in the New Zealand press. He started boxing professionally in 1992 and his last fight was in August, 2011 – a defeat to American, Monte Barrett.

Tua announced: "Where things are at, I am retired. I love it (boxing), it is my life. I may have retired from the game itself, but I will never retire from daily challenges, you always face challenges, no matter what."

Tua was born in Samoa and lives in New Zealand. He compiled a record of 52 wins, 4 loses, 2 draws with 43 wins coming via KO. He is 5 foot 10 and despite being shorter than most of his opponents, he often ended bouts with his explosive power.

Highlights of his career are his 19 second KO of future WBA champion, John Ruiz and his 12-round War with Ike Ibeabuchi, a fight that still holds the record for number of punches in a Heavyweight contest. Tua’s power saw him knock out many top contenders including David Izon, Oleg Maskaev, Nate Tubbs, Obed Sullivan, Danell Nicholson, Fres Oquendo and former World champions Michael Moorer and Hasim Rahman.

His defeats came at the hands of Ike Ibeabuchi, Chris Byrd and Monte Barrett. In his only World title shot against Lennox Lewis, in 2000, he lost a unanimous 12-round decision. He was never stopped in his career.

David Tua had made several comebacks in recent years but this seems to be the end of his boxing career. He had a very good career and a lot of his wins were spectacular knock-outs.

Read More: http://ringnews24.com//index.php/box...#ixzz1q3oLk8Bc

Originally posted by ThePhantom5 View Post
    Heavyweight David Tua Retires

Former World Heavyweight title challenger David Tua, 39, has announced his retirement in the New Zealand press. He started boxing professionally in 1992 and his last fight was in August, 2011 – a defeat to American, Monte Barrett.

Tua announced: "Where things are at, I am retired. I love it (boxing), it is my life. I may have retired from the game itself, but I will never retire from daily challenges, you always face challenges, no matter what."

Tua was born in Samoa and lives in New Zealand. He compiled a record of 52 wins, 4 loses, 2 draws with 43 wins coming via KO. He is 5 foot 10 and despite being shorter than most of his opponents, he often ended bouts with his explosive power.

Highlights of his career are his 19 second KO of future WBA champion, John Ruiz and his 12-round War with Ike Ibeabuchi, a fight that still holds the record for number of punches in a Heavyweight contest. Tua’s power saw him knock out many top contenders including David Izon, Oleg Maskaev, Nate Tubbs, Obed Sullivan, Danell Nicholson, Fres Oquendo and former World champions Michael Moorer and Hasim Rahman.

His defeats came at the hands of Ike Ibeabuchi, Chris Byrd and Monte Barrett. In his only World title shot against Lennox Lewis, in 2000, he lost a unanimous 12-round decision. He was never stopped in his career.

David Tua had made several comebacks in recent years but this seems to be the end of his boxing career. He had a very good career and a lot of his wins were spectacular knock-outs.

Read More: http://ringnews24.com//index.php/box...#ixzz1q3oLk8Bc
    Its to bad much of his prime was marred by managerial problems. He had a very good career but it could have been better. One of the most exciting heavies ever.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
      Its to bad much of his prime was marred by managerial problems. He had a very good career but it could have been better. One of the most exciting heavies ever.
      True. He could have had a better career.

Comment

But a great career none the less. Best of luck to him and his family.

Comment

Great career, can't believe he was never a champion.

Comment

I reckon he'll come back within a year, wish he'd done more with his career.

doesn't he have money issues?

Comment

Never thought the day would come but David simply isn't the fearsome man we saw in the 1990's.

His destruction of John Ruiz will stick with me forever.

Comment

didn't see that one coming

Comment

I thought he was retired already....

Comment

I use to love watching him fight, I wish him best in all his ventures out of the ring...

Comment

Working...
                    X