No announcement yet.

Marcel Cerdan

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marcel Cerdan

Was he the greatest European boxer ever? He had all the tools, a complete package and 2 of his 4 losses were on dq, one was on points and was avenged (just a bad night really) and the last one was to LaMotta, where he injured his shoulder after falling down after a clinch. Had he not died, I believe he would defeat LaMotta soundly in the rematch and go on to fight SRR. THAT would be something, wouldn't it?

Marcel was an outstanding boxer in every sense and his power was amazing. I think he was one of the hardest punchers in the mw division ever. His fight with Zale was a classic, great ko too.
    Last edited by Pastrano; 05-17-2011, 01:25 PM.

Excellent fighter and the Zale KO is sick but its clear that the distinction of greatest European fighter belongs to Bob Fitzsimmons.

Comment

One of the greatest fighters to come out of Europe for sure.

Great fighter.

Comment

I was just thinking this the other day.
        Maybe not just great Euro fighter, but ATG great MW boxer period.

Wasn't his record 113-4?

Does anyone have any film of the fight v LaMotta?I read that the "clinch" may have been LaMotta throwing him to the canvas.

But think about it. If his shoulder was dislocated in rd 1, he fought for what another 9 rds.

And against the raging bull.
        Amazing!

Comment

The 3rd greatest fighter too come out of Europe in my opinion,by quite a way too

Comment

Originally posted by physiker View Post
            I was just thinking this the other day.
            Maybe not just great Euro fighter, but ATG great MW boxer period.

Wasn't his record 113-4?

Does anyone have any film of the fight v LaMotta?I read that the "clinch" may have been LaMotta throwing him to the canvas.

But think about it. If his shoulder was dislocated in rd 1, he fought for what another 9 rds.

And against the raging bull.
            Amazing!
            113-4, yes. With 66 kos, which is pretty amazing for a boxer of that time. Old timers didn't really like to punch hard or they had such a style that didn't produce too many knockouts, but this guy was a cracker.

Comment

Originally posted by Pastrano View Post
              113-4, yes. With 66 kos, which is pretty amazing for a boxer of that time. Old timers didn't really like to punch hard or they had such a style that didn't produce too many knockouts, but this guy was a cracker.
              looooooooooooooooooooooooooool

Comment

Originally posted by RubenSonny View Post
                looooooooooooooooooooooooooool
                Ok, so I formulated myself badly. I meant that oldtime, mostly Euro but also American, boxers had a technical, rather passive style.

Comment

I wouldn't call him Europe's best ever, but he is certainly in the elite category. I would call him the best Frenchman, however.

Comment

Originally posted by Pastrano View Post
                    Was he the greatest European boxer ever?

......his power was amazing. I think he was one of the hardest punchers in the mw division ever.
                    Glad to see Cerdan is getting some love & respect as a great fighter. I agree, he was one of Europe's best ever.

The part I never really associated Cerdan with is him being "one of the hardest punchers in the mw division ever". When I think of Marcel Cerdan, I think of 3 things..1. The crash that killed him. 2. A very durable fighter. 3. Generally under-rated.

One of the hardest hitting 160lbers ever? Marcel Cerdan had a life time KO % of 56.52%, or 65 KOs in 115 fights.

Here's some other middleweight KO percentages....

Randy Turpin 60%
                    Rocky Graziano 62.65%
                    Carlos Monzon 59%
                    Stanley Ketchel 75%
                    Tommy Hearns 71.64%
                    Marvin Hagler 77.61%

These guys were the hardest hitters I could find! I was surprised to find out that the life-time KO % of most of the other notable 160 lbers in history were even LOWER. (Sugar Ray Robinson was a 54% KO ratio) So you are right, Cerdan is also one of the hardest hitters ever at 160!

I should have known that, since I fancy myself a boxing historian! But I'm better prepared now for threads & debates down the road!

Comment

Working...
                    X