Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: “Fighting Words” — Boxing 2013: A Gift That Kept Giving

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: “Fighting Words” — Boxing 2013: A Gift That Kept Giving

by David P. Greisman - This was not a year without the usual downers, disappointments and dubious decisions.

There were still boxers who died or were critically injured.

There were still fighters who tested positive for banned substances, and there still is a lack of significant progress when it comes to a grand effort to catch and stop those who use performance-enhancing drugs.

There still were numerous instances of bad judging and refereeing, and there are still maddening messes brought about by this sport’s many sanctioning bodies.

There was plenty to be mad and upset about, and it should not go ignored. But it should not allow us to forget that this was yet another very good year of boxing. From the opening months through to December’s final big fight card in the United States, 2013 has been a gift that kept on giving. [Click Here To Read More]

One thing is for sure, whether because or in spite of the promotional war, 2013 has been a fantastic boxing year - the more so perhaps after a fairly lacklustre 2012 and (the inevitable) proclamations that the sport is dead or dying.

Some of my favourite fights and careers have been mentioned - Provodnikovs two epic battles, Kovalev and Stevensons breakout year to reinvigorate LHW, Golovkin muscling his way in as MW kingpin...the list goes on.

And as the author says those long Fridays and Saturdays and Sunday mornings (as a UK fan I can easily be up til 5.30 or 6am watching the West coast US fights - then find a championship fight in Australia or Japan a few hours later) can been tiring but are often exciting and rewarding as boxing history is made around the globe.

2013 - a great year for boxing, with so many stories left untold and unfinished for 2014.

Comment

Darren Barker topped Macklin? Wan't it Geale?

Comment

Great year in boxing and great article but one night that was left out that was a highlight for me was seeing Bernard Hopkins ending don kings career by beating Travoris Cloud in march . Good riddance don King even though I have the feeling you'll slither your way back !
        Last edited by BarnBurnerBrawl; 12-23-2013, 05:01 AM.

Comment

Nice write-up.

What were the biggest boxing attendances in 2013?

Martinez v Murray - 50,000 (Buenos Aires, Argentina)
          Alvarez v Trout - 40,000 (Texas, USA)
          Klitschko v Povetkin - 35,000? (Moscow, Russia)

any others?

Comment

Originally posted by Abdera View Post
            Darren Barker topped Macklin? Wan't it Geale?
            Definitely Geale, of course. Fixed, and thanks.

Comment

... "This year brought wins over Gabriel Rosado, Nobuhiro Ishida, Matthew Macklin and Curtis Stevens. He’s knocked out all but three of his foes,"...

Actually Golovkin didn't KO Rosado as there were no knockdowns in that fight, while Rosado's corner threw in towel... The Stevens fight ended by a referee technical decision (RTD) -- i.e. fight ended because a Stevens refused to continue... In other words, Golovkin stopped all four his opponents in 2013...

Comment

Originally posted by MDPopescu View Post
                ... "This year brought wins over Gabriel Rosado, Nobuhiro Ishida, Matthew Macklin and Curtis Stevens. He’s knocked out all but three of his foes,"...

Actually Golovkin didn't KO Rosado as there were no knockdowns in that fight, while Rosado's corner threw in towel... The Stevens fight ended by a referee technical decision (RTD) -- i.e. fight ended because a Stevens refused to continue... In other words, Golovkin stopped all four his opponents in 2013...
                I must have missed the moment that the entire sport of boxing stopped referring to technical knockouts, referee stoppages, corner stoppages, doctor stoppages, all under the umbrella category of "knockout," and Michael Buffer began to introduce Wladimir Klitschko as having 61 wins, X by way of a guy losing unconsciousness, Y by way of a referee stepping in, and Z by way of the guy staying in the corner between rounds.

I mean, seriously? Come on, now...

Comment

Originally posted by MDPopescu View Post

I must have missed the moment that the entire sport of boxing stopped referring to technical knockouts, referee stoppages, corner stoppages, doctor stoppages, all under the umbrella category of "knockout," and Michael Buffer began to introduce Wladimir Klitschko as having 61 wins, X by way of a guy losing consciousness, Y by way of a referee stepping in, and Z by way of the guy staying in the corner between rounds.

I mean, seriously? Come on, now…

-David

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. David View Post
                    I must have missed the moment that the entire sport of boxing stopped referring to technical knockouts, referee stoppages, corner stoppages, doctor stoppages, all under the umbrella category of "knockout," and Michael Buffer began to introduce Wladimir Klitschko as having 61 wins, X by way of a guy losing unconsciousness, Y by way of a referee stepping in, and Z by way of the guy staying in the corner between rounds.

I mean, seriously? Come on, now...
                    I was only trying to jest about ... "He’s knocked out all but three of his foes,"...
                    ... Actually Kolovkin TKOd or KOd all four of them...

Comment

Working...
                    X